Explosives Certificate for Black Powder - Info please

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

Explosives Certificate for Black Powder - Info please

#1 Post by CDM5 »

Just a few questions:

I already have a correct lockable wooden box for storing BP, currently used for smokeless, though I have not yet decided on where to keep it.

It can't be stored in in the gun room as it is too close to the stairs.
I've read that it can't be stored in the same room as flammable liquids, most gun cleaning solvents are flammable so I assume that would rule out my office/reloading room? And there's cans of WD40 & acetone etc in the garage.

If the box is locked, does it need to be stored in a locked room? I've heard that some issuing forces want the box chained down, but in case of a fire that seems like a bad idea!

Any pointers before I send my application off.

Thanks
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Explosives Certificate for Black Powder - Info please

#2 Post by dromia »

Best to discuss with your explosives licensing department as the individual departments are not known for a consistency of approach.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

CDM5 wrote:Just a few questions:

I already have a correct lockable wooden box for storing BP, currently used for smokeless, though I have not yet decided on where to keep it.

It can't be stored in in the gun room as it is too close to the stairs.
I've read that it can't be stored in the same room as flammable liquids, most gun cleaning solvents are flammable so I assume that would rule out my office/reloading room? And there's cans of WD40 & acetone etc in the garage.

If the box is locked, does it need to be stored in a locked room? I've heard that some issuing forces want the box chained down, but in case of a fire that seems like a bad idea!

Any pointers before I send my application off.

Thanks
The people that made my box put some pointers on this on a sheet of A4. They recommend that the box be secured to a radiator pipe with the supplied thin metal cable (akin to the wire within a motorbike throttle cable).
through the padlocked hasp. Secure enough to stop a casual visitor walking off with the box but easily cut by a fireman in the event of a fire. My FEO said that as my gun room is locked I wouldn't need to secure the box to anything.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
BrettR
Home club or Range: Cheshunt RPC

#4 Post by BrettR »

Hi

Apologies for resurrecting an oldish thread, but I'm in the process of getting an acquire & keep licence. The FEO wanted to know what the number was for the synthetic power that I would be using. I can't, for the life of me work out what it is. He said he would put down gunpowder for me but didn't know the number for the synthetic. I currently use 777 fffg at the club and will need to get my own so does anyone know what the "number" is? He said I might need it for buying as licensing had changed recently. I think the number for gunpowder is UN0027 (there is a 0028 as well but I'm not sure about that).
tia
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

See here: https://full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38265

Only four threads down from this one, discussed to death.

Any non tracking, non data collecting search engine on here is your friend.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
BrettR
Home club or Range: Cheshunt RPC

#6 Post by BrettR »

Thank you
CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

#7 Post by CDM5 »

Just to update.

FEO visit was last night (postponed due to Covid) and they were happy with my storage box & powder handling. They (Wiltshire) require the box to be chained to the floor/wall to prevent theft.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#8 Post by FredB »

The responsibilty for explosives lies with the Health and Safety Executive and, until a few years ago, that is where you applied for your licence.
Everything was simplified when they sub-contracted the job to the police, so that the Explosives Licence could be co-terminous with your FAC.
The design of the box and the storage conditions are laid down by the Health and safety people and the rules clearly state that the box is not to be chained down, so that it can be safely carried out in the event of a fire. As usual, the police have invented their own rules.
As a compromise, I like the snippable wire fixing. I simply keep mine in a locked gunroom.
Fred
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

I have mine secured with a wire gunlock,

oh, did I not fully click it in, oh well....
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
PeterN

#10 Post by PeterN »

My black powder box is on the top of a cabinet. I got it down to show the FEO the contents at the last renewal a year ago. It is not secured to anything and no mention was made that it should be. The fixing security of the cabinets was not mentioned or tested either. North Yorkshire seem to leave security to the discretion of the certificate holder. I suspect, however, that if a theft was to occur and security was found to be inadequate, bricks by the ton would rapidly descend on you.
Incidentally, I also showed her my previous black powder box, now empty, as required by North Yorkshire Police. They previously wanted a wood lined metal box secured by a padlock, painted yellow with 'Explosives' painted in red on the lid. I showed her the letter dated 1992 with the details required. She just said that was before her time. I think the requirements were changed when they realised they had told us to make a bomb.
Regards
Peter.