Black Powder and home insurance

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

BrettR
Home club or Range: Cheshunt RPC

Black Powder and home insurance

#1 Post by BrettR »

Hi

I’m new to Black Powder shooting and am currently waiting for my FAC and A&K Explosive license.
One question that’s popped up, is do I need to tell my home insurance that I’ll be keeping BP at home. Now I know some will say don’t bother (and someone has already said this to me) but that won’t appease the boss. In the, hopefully unlikely, event of a fire, I don’t want to loose a claim because I didn’t mention it.

What does everyone do/recommend?
If you did fess up, what impact did it have on your policy?

And by all means caveat any suggestions with “asking for a friend” or “my mate said”

Cheers
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Black Powder and home insurance

#2 Post by dromia »

Probably prudent to tell them.

It should not be a problem as the HSE deem it completely acceptable for you to hold up to 30 odd lbs of propellant in a domestic situation and as regards the BP the only caveat is that it is stored in a specified box so these experts see the risk as very low in a home situation.

The main purpose of the box is to protect emergency services in the event of fire not to minimise the risk of a fire which on its own is zero.

Gas canisters and internal combustion vehicles in an attached garage for instance are far more of a worry than a couple of stone of propellant..

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Black Powder and home insurance

#3 Post by FredB »

They most inflammable / explosive item that you are likely to have in your house if your wife's can of hairspray.
Fred