.42 Russian / 10.75x58r Berdan ll

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

.42 Russian / 10.75x58r Berdan ll

#1 Post by snayperskaya »

Is there anyone on here shooting and reloading for a 10.75x58r Berdan II rifle?
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

Re: .42 Russian / 10.75x58r Berdan ll

#2 Post by spikedueller »

I have one and thought about putting it on section 1 but the bore is very pitted, its one form World Wide Arms, looks to have been refinished at some point in it's life.

There's some interesting comments on reloading issues in the C&R arsenal review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0ivCTSTkzU
skip to 1 hour 10 mins in and there's some commentary on how they had to modify the case rims to get it functioning correctly.

I know what they mean about the amount of exposed case rim and on mine you really get the impression that there really isn't much stopping that bolt from opening and the .42" cartridge is one of the more powerful ones of the era.

Maybe if I acquire a better example I'd be tempted to give it a try but a .450/400 3.25" double is heading my way so that's the next project for a while.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

Thanks for that mate, will have a look :good:

I have found a nice all original example with an apparently good bore that is tempting me and I'd really like it to be a shooter.

I see your club range is Minsterley, it is mine too!......I wonder if we've met?.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

#4 Post by spikedueller »

Yes indeed we have though it was pre-covid so seems a long time ago now. You let me have a try of your Mosin and AK and you and I think your son tried my .416 Rem Blaser and the trusty Remington Lee in .43" Spanish so maybe the lure of black powder cartridge rifles has caught up with you :)

I've done a bit of digging and it seems that bore sizes of the Berdan vary wildly. In some forums they're using .429" pistol bullets, in others .439 and even one saying he's using .446 Bullets. The original was paper patched and Lyman once did a mould for it (Lyman 427103 385 grain) many moons ago.

I'll be up at Minsterley on the 25th of September and could bring up some .439 (370 grain) and .446 (400 grain) cast lead bullets if you like as a mint example sounds like an ideal candidate and if it's .439" then the standard Lyman mould for the .43" Spanish will work, if it's as big as .446 then either an RCBS for the .44-77 will work or maybe the Lyman mold for the .43" Mauser.

Thanks
Mike
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

Yes, I remember now Mike......it was the Mrs's nephew that was with me, that must have been nearly 3 years ago!.