Reloading can be dangerous

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Reloading can be dangerous

#21 Post by WelshShooter »

Ovenpaa wrote:It would be interesting to collate the statistics on such events, base them on discipline, cartridge, age of shooter etc. I do wonder if there would be any underlying trends.
I would also add into the mix whether the rounds were made from a progressive or a single stage press. I suspect this would be one of the root causes.

As someone else has pointed out, I load all my ammo on a single stage press. Sure, it's time consuming, but it's really easy to pick out no charge or double charged cases.

In terms of loading powder on a progressive press, I'm sure I've seen some sort of device that "detects" whether a charge has been thrown? I'm not talking about a camera, I think it was made by Lee?
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#22 Post by phaedra1106 »

There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

I run a Dillon progressive and did build myself a powder check die from a lump of old stainless barrel however I have stopped using it as I ran out of space due to using a bullet feeder and separate seat and crimp dies. It sounds like I should consider using a combined seater and crimp and putting the check stage back in line. The plan was always to add a sensor to it with buzzer as a warning.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#24 Post by Maggot »

WelshShooter wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:It would be interesting to collate the statistics on such events, base them on discipline, cartridge, age of shooter etc. I do wonder if there would be any underlying trends.
I would also add into the mix whether the rounds were made from a progressive or a single stage press. I suspect this would be one of the root causes.

As someone else has pointed out, I load all my ammo on a single stage press. Sure, it's time consuming, but it's really easy to pick out no charge or double charged cases.

In terms of loading powder on a progressive press, I'm sure I've seen some sort of device that "detects" whether a charge has been thrown? I'm not talking about a camera, I think it was made by Lee?
You can stuff it up just as spectacularly by having distractions. I know one old boy who loads with a bloody telly on FFS. Many years ago one of my old club members had a so called "Professional" hand load for his F Class rifle. The allegation was that the chap concerned was chatting while loading in the shop and put pistol powder instead of the correct powder. The rifle was destroyed but thankfully it blew downwards and the owner was OK.

I have also seen bolt faces trashed because people put primers in back to front. Mind you a lot of the F Class lot were suicide jockeys anyway.

Now I do check my cases are all filled before I seat and if I then get the willies (you know that...did I lock the door feeling) you just weigh them.

One thing I do have in my favour us I only use 2 types of powder and if I did substitute either the results would not be dangerous as both are fine for 5.56/762.

Never had a squib load but I can see how it could all go orribly wrong :bad:
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#25 Post by GeeRam »

Ovenpaa wrote:I would like to think that those of us who reload ammunition understand the potential dangers and the need to be vigilant when at the bench and luckily documented failures related to reloading your own ammunition are few and far between however they do happen and this Winchester 1894 chambered in 30-30 is a perfect example.
IMG_1877.JPG
My guess is a round with very little or no powder (Primer only) was fired through the rifle, the bullet failed to leave the barrel and a second round was shot with the resultant catastrophic failure.

The interesting thing here is this is the second under lever rifle to come in over the last couple of weeks with bulged barrels, the other being a 44 Remington Magnum and the common factor is they are both under lever rifles.

Now I am certainly not saying under lever rifles are more prone to barrel bulging when a second moving round meets a first stationary round because this could happen in any type of rifle and I have no idea statistically if this sort of incident is more prevalent with under levers, however add reloading to under levers and the type of shooting they are used for here in the UK and there might and I do say just might be an increased risk here.

Let me explain. Under lever rifles are often used for competition shooting which in turn can be against the clock. I shoot a .357Mag Marlin in local club competitions and to be vaguely competitive I need to get accurately placed rounds off very quickly, typically two rounds in two seconds on turning targets which means I acquire the target, pull the trigger cycle the lever to load a second round and pull the trigger. During this period I have very little chance of seeing my fall of shot due to the nature of the target and the lack of splash behind and my interest is getting that second round down range. Whilst doing this I need to be aware of anything that seems different, less noise, a reduced recoil or similar and if that happens I need to stop myself from taking that next shot.

It can be done, by that I mean you can be aware of something not being quite right and accordingly stop yourself, equally I suspect in the heat of the moment a mistake can be made.

OK, so that is one scenario.

Probably the more worrisome is when you are shooting simultaneously with other competitors with low loaded rounds and ear defenders and I believe this is going to give a greater potential for missing something which might lead to a failure. Something we have to be aware of and if there is any doubt never under any circumstances take a further shot until the rifle has been inspected.
Bringing this thread back because I actually witnessed it happen today on range, exactly as happened in the OP, but with a Marlin, although an inch or two further along the barrel towards the muzzle.
As you said, with 5 people standing close on the firing point with multiple quick shots, the firer wasn't about to hear that 'dud' round before letting go with the next.......
Almost certainly a primer only re-load, or next to no powder and the bullet had got stuck about 3/4 of the way down.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#26 Post by the running man »

Just gonna jump in here and say what I've not seen written, all very well on extradinarily fast leaver action shooting a newbie to that getting a squib and not noticing,that would be the exception, but for anyone else to not notice a squib load and put another full load up behind it deserves everything they get,and ought to give serious consideration to giving up on shooting....

even with the lightest of target rounds one feels the recoil of a bullet leaving the barrell or actually looks through the scope or sight to see the hole or even the sand splash......

Loading a squib and picking up on it is the mark of a seasoned sensible switched on shooter and it's also basic safety 101 stuff....well done those who don't put another up behind a squib.

Sorry in advance if this offends anyone...
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#27 Post by Pete »

+1

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Col
Home club or Range: BASC Sevenside range, stalking etc

#28 Post by Col »

Once while on a range I was firing next to a guy who I found out later was not totally with it.On this range full bore was at a restricted velocity,the round didnt sound right so I spoke to him,,he assured me he had the correct load of powder,so to cut a long story short I persuaded him to give me a round to take home to inspect,I took out the bullet and found the case filled to the top with powder, I poured out the powder to weight it but found he had packed BENEATH the powder with cotton wool. I always wondered what would happen if the cotton wool had smouldered for a while and then fires the round off,
luckily the police have now taken all his weapons away.
We are the pilgrims master,We shall go always a little further
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#29 Post by Pete »

Honestly, is there anyone on here who reloads and who doesn't check the rack of filled cases with a torch BEFORE shoving the bullets in?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#30 Post by BooBoo »

I use a progressive for all of my pistol calibres plus 223 in rifle. I certainly would not do so without either a powder check die or a lock out die being installed as applicable.

On the larger stuff, the essential bit of kit is "the torch"...