Cast bullet case fire forming.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

Cast bullet case fire forming.

#1 Post by legs748 »

Just had my first outing shooting cast bullets from my G98, as ever showing promise but more work required. I have on stock a hundred brand new unfired 8mm cases, can I use these straight off the bat for cast loads or will they need fire forming, or will there be sufficient pressure to fire form with cast?
It was working when i left it...........
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Cast bullet case fire forming.

#2 Post by dromia »

Your pressure will depend on the powder, the amount and bullet weight, without that information your question is meaningless, the construction of the bullet has little to do with it.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

#3 Post by legs748 »

I have tried two loads so far, both with Lyman’s 165gn 8mm bullet, 16gn 2400 and 23gn (I think, I’m away from my notes) IMR 4198.
It was working when i left it...........
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

They should do it, If you are fire forming so you can neck size then stick with these loads if it doesn't quiet fully form first time they should be fine second time.

For the 7.92x57 I have found 200-220 gn bullets to work best in my G98 IS bore and Steyr 1903 I bore.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/