Brand New heavies in 43 Spanish

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

Brand New heavies in 43 Spanish

#1 Post by spikedueller »

I've been experimenting with an original Remington Rolling block in .43" Spanish and my existing Lyman 370 grain .43 Spanish mould was ok but could do better. I've recently read a paper titled " The Internet and Firearms research with reference to the .43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block and its ammunition" by David A Thomas and Stephen P Barrett. They identify the fact that the long throat in Rolling Block rifles so chambered was found to be a causal factor in inaccuracy and back in the late 1880's led the Spanish to adopt the Reformado round. The paper mentions that accuracy of the original .43" round could be improved by "filing the throat full of lead".
This is a bit challenging with the Lyman round as it means seating the bullets well out of the neck and a need for filler.

Old West Bullet Moulds produce a 440 grain .441" mould that looked like it might fit the bill and I've finally manged to get the mould home and cast my first 50. The mould is a quality built item with a sprue plate that is thicker than the Lyman and cuts clean. It is a joy to use but it doesn't take many casts to empty the pot.
I've now loaded the rounds up and am counting down the days till the next range session.
I've included the contact details in the photo but will state that I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer. They do some weird and wonderful moulds, if you need a mould for a Tabitiere they do them.
Attachments
43 span heavy.JPG
AL8

Re: Brand New heavies in 43 Spanish

#2 Post by AL8 »

interested to see how you get on. I have just started to shoot a Reformado, so am trying out various molds
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

They make good moulds, I have quiet a few of theirs.

They have an especially good range of heeled bullets and good bullets for the .52 calibre Sharps.

I am using their .22 rf mould at the moment.

Their Lee made .22 rf crimp die is excellent, I suspect they QC them after getting them from Lee.

Shame they only do a maximum of two cavity moulds.

Very pricey though when you include the postage, duty, vat and Parcel Farces charge for not delivering the package.

Still if they are providing something no one else is and if you need it then you will pay the price

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
spikedueller

#4 Post by spikedueller »

Hi Dromia
yes indeed the price wasn't cheap but I am very fortunate that my parents live in the States so I was able to get the mould delivered there and just brought it back after a visit.
Now don't get me started on Parcel Force... customer service is an alien concept for them

At the risk of opening the floodgates I am heading back over for a visit at Christmas so if anyone is interested in one of their moulds I could always bring it back for them.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

That is a kind offer from you which I would avail myself of.

Let me know what I need to do.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

spikedueller

#6 Post by spikedueller »

Hi Dromia
PM with details on its way
dromia
Site Admin

#7 Post by dromia »

Thank you.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!