Best shop to get a Reloading Kit?

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
FGarre

Best shop to get a Reloading Kit?

#1 Post by FGarre »

Hi,

I have been reloading for a time, borrowing some friends equipment. I have been buying stuff to have all my gear and now I need the Reloading Press.

I think I would like to get the "RCBS Turret Deluxe Reloading Press Kit".

I have checked some shops and it seems nobody have it in stock :-(
I had good references from OpticsWarehouse so I phoned them nearly 3 weeks ago, but still nothing.

I do not mind waiting for a while because they seems to be nice and serious people.

Do you know of any other good places to buy Reloading stuff?

Thanks!
Felipe.
(London)
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Best shop to get a Reloading Kit?

#2 Post by dromia »

Have a look in our Gun Shops forum as well as our Vendors and Innovators forum.

Also look at the reloading posts and stickies as kits might not be the best route, kits is not something I recommend to my customers, but people have different needs and its a case of horses for courses.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

No disrespect to OpticsWarehouse but my advice to you would be to not purchase a kit.
Ask here in the reloading forum.
What calibre are you going to want to reload for.
There are basic pieces of equipment that you must have.
There are enough knowledgeable and experienced reloaders on this forum to point you in the right direction and if you take there advice it will probably save you a lot of money.
It annoys me no end to see new shooters and would be first time re loaders sold all sorts of kit that they really don't need.

Do not buy anything.

Ask a ton of questions and when you are absolutely certain that what you are buying suits your needs then talk to one of the guys who are dealers on here I don't think any of them will do you wrong.

(Just my personnel opinion but I would not buy a turret press a good single station press will last you a lifetime)
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#4 Post by Andy632 »

Alpha1 wrote:No disrespect to OpticsWarehouse but my advice to you would be to not purchase a kit.
Ask here in the reloading forum.
What calibre are you going to want to reload for.
There are basic pieces of equipment that you must have.
There are enough knowledgeable and experienced reloaders on this forum to point you in the right direction and if you take there advice it will probably save you a lot of money.
It annoys me no end to see new shooters and would be first time re loaders sold all sorts of kit that they really don't need.

Do not buy anything.

Ask a ton of questions and when you are absolutely certain that what you are buying suits your needs then talk to one of the guys who are dealers on here I don't think any of them will do you wrong.

(Just my personnel opinion but I would not buy a turret press a good single station press will last you a lifetime)

I'll agree with some of this, I'm also not in favour of "Kits", I always feel they're padded out with generals bits and pieces that you may not really need or end up selling off to trade up in future years. Buy once cry once.

I'll disagree on the bit about a Turret Press. Buy a good one and it should last a lifetime.
I bought a Lyman 6-station Turret as my first press over 30 years ago and it's still going strong and still producing accurate rifle ammo, I leave it set up with .308 & .223 dies. I also have two Lee turrets for pistol calibre ammo and one single station RCBS Rockchucker for the odd use.

Buy the best quality you can afford, it's worth it in the end.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I purchased a Lee Cast Classic a few years ago as a stop gap first press until i could find a 'decent' one. It is still on the bench in use every time I reload. I have some more presses next to it these days including an RCBS and I still prefer the Classic as it returns fine accuracy in reloading and is a sensible price. There are some very good alternatives including Arbor and co-axial presses and even some UK produced billet presses however as a first press that will last many years the Cast Classic ticks the boxes.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I agree with ovenpaa I have no experience of the press my self but I have heard lots of good reports about the new classic press's.
They do a turret as well.
If I was starting out I would have a look at either the single station or the turret.

RCBS make good quality re loading equipment don't get me wrong but I would not buy a kit.

My advice to a new re loader would be to purchase a cast either single station or turret press.
My preference would be a single station.
A lee hand held priming tool cheap as chips.
A RCBS 505 beam scale.
A RCBS powder measure
A powder funnel.
A powder trickler.

The rest of the stuff you can add as you go.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#7 Post by Mike357 »

Not perhaps required at the outset but for £100 I'd go for a Targetmaster if you are reloading rifle ammo. Agree with those that have advised against kits.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha's choice of the 505 beam with Mike's choice of TargetMaster gives you the potential for some of the most accurate powder throwing on the planet and you can always ask Alan (TargetMaster and 1066 on this forum) to accurise the scales at a later date.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#9 Post by phaedra1106 »

Have to agree with the above, 502/5 scales are a must and add the Targetmaster later (just sold mine to Saddler!).

I have 3 Lee presses including the Classic Cast 4 hole Turret, weighs a ton but does an excellent job, also has a higher clearance than the standard turret so you can load up to .308 on it without the bullets snagging on the dies. I still use the single stage Breech Lock Classic Cast for rifle ammo and get excellent results with it.

Something like the Lee perfect powder measure will be more than good enough and combined with the RCBS scales and trickling powder will produce very accurate loads.

And, if you know anyone going to the US get them to buy you one there, much cheaper!.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
FGarre

#10 Post by FGarre »

Hi,
Wow!! Many thanks for so many replies!

I have used a Lyman with different stages (may be the same 6-stages Andy632 says) and it works very well. I have not tried Lee but people say it's OK for beginners but that you will soon buy another one, that's why I thought about RCBS, I have tried their powder dispenser and it works very well.

On the other hand What I would like to reload is:
.38 / .357
and in the future .223

I already have some equipment: I have an Ultra-Sound cleaner, a Lyman tumbler, RCBS universal hand primer, RCBS kinetic bullet puller, ... and the best one: a hand made "de-priming" tool :-D

The RCBS kit I am interested in is just £410 and comes with the following: RCBS Turret Reloading Press, RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure, RCBS Model 5-0-2 Reloading Scale, RCBS Case Lube kit, deburring tool, case loading block, RCBS primer tray, RCBS powder funnel, fold-up hex-key wrench set and Speer No. 14 Reloading Manual ( Reloading data )
I can't think of anything I will not use... and £410 for it is a good deal I think.

Anyway I will follow your advise and dive into those forums you have recommended to get a better idea of what people do.

Many thanks again.
Felipe.
P.S.: Today we went to Bisley, 600 yards. It was great!! no rain and loads of wind to make it more challenging and fun! :-)