Schmidt Rubin 1889

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Mail2pete

Schmidt Rubin 1889

#1 Post by Mail2pete »

Does anyone shoot the Schmidt Rubin 1889 rifle. I am looking for advice and info on load development. I have looked on numerous web sites and still have not got the info. In fact I think I have too much info, hence trying to contact someone who actually shoots one.

Pete
davidh195
Past Supporter

Re: Schmidt Rubin 1889

#2 Post by davidh195 »

As my load is nothing to write home about ill only mention Trimming cases to max 54.5 should be ok.
I have used the lee .303 British mould .311” dia & latterly Lyman Loverin but there is probably better cast Bullets.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

I am fortunate to have a bespoke NEI (from the time of Walt) mould made for the throat of this rifle and it shoots well over 20-22 gns of N120.

Filling the throat of the rifle is important for accuracy as unlike the K31 it is generous. A chamber/throat/bore/groove slug is essential really so that you know what dimensions you need for your specific rifle. If you cannot find a boolit that fits then I also have had success with paper patching nothing like going back to the original method.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
AL8

#4 Post by AL8 »

davidh195
Past Supporter

#5 Post by davidh195 »

A few days ago friend shown me a NEI mould he had purchased very recently it had chatter marks in the cavity & was out of round.

Dromia do you have any details of the bullet you decided to use weight, picture or profile you could post please?

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

davidh195 wrote:A few days ago friend shown me a NEI mould he had purchased very recently it had chatter marks in the cavity & was out of round.

Dromia do you have any details of the bullet you decided to use weight, picture or profile you could post please?

David
Yep, that seems to be what has happened to NEI since Walt died and his daughter and son in law took over the business, very variable quality. I haven't bought a new NEI mould since Walt died..

Actually I've been looking for the mould and can't lay my hands on it, I suspected that I'd loaned it to Joe but he denies all knowledge. although admits to having had some bullets cast from it. Job for today find the mould.

On paper patching I had good results with a classic Loverin 180 gn Lyman 311407 design, this is the version of the 180 gn Lyman I use:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#7 Post by dromia »

You will be looking for a heavy for the calibre boolit, 170 gns as a starting weight.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#8 Post by dromia »

Ultimately you will need to take a throat/lead/bore/groove/slug to know what size you will need, from my experience with these rifles you will need a throat filler.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#9 Post by dromia »

BTW the original GP/90 round for this rifle was a iron/steel tipped, 20:1 lead:tin, paper patched, 210 gn, heeled boolit. :o

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#10 Post by dromia »

Found the NEI mould! :grin: clapclap :goodjob:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!