7x64

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
DL.

7x64

#1 Post by DL. »

My foray into 7x64 is underway!

I always wanted a 7mm Express/.280 Rem, but for ease of supply of ammo 7x64 is the sensible choice if you're in Europe. Norma's listings also show it to have more downrange power too, which is nice.

I'm quite keen to get my hands on some of the S&B 154gn Hollow Point Covered ammo that I was musing about on here a couple of months ago.

I notice JD reloading do dies. I plan on buying some viht N160, and trying to source some Hornady bullets in the 150 - 175gn range.

Moderator wise, I'll probably be looking to an Ase Utra S7, does anyone know if the optional black finish costs more?

A bit of an enjoyable task - the gun safe had been a bit stagnant recently.
Laurie

Re: 7x64

#2 Post by Laurie »

I'd check that you can get all the bits before committing yourself. The Stalking Directory Forum has lots of posts from 7X64 owners trying to source factory ammo, dies and brass. Like you there is an apparently significant minority of deerstalkers who fancy the cartridge for various reasons - and why not as it's an excellent design - but who claim that current supply is very poor.

If you go down the 280 Rem path, dies will be much easier to source and widely available .270 or .30-06 brass can be reformed into 280 to obtain the essential cases.
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#3 Post by DW58 »

You have PM.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
DL.

#4 Post by DL. »

Laurie wrote:I'd check that you can get all the bits before committing yourself. The Stalking Directory Forum has lots of posts from 7X64 owners trying to source factory ammo, dies and brass. Like you there is an apparently significant minority of deerstalkers who fancy the cartridge for various reasons - and why not as it's an excellent design - but who claim that current supply is very poor.

If you go down the 280 Rem path, dies will be much easier to source and widely available .270 or .30-06 brass can be reformed into 280 to obtain the essential cases.
Thanks Laurie, I wasn't aware of a shortage of supply being noted on SD as I'm not an active member on there.

If fodder for the 7x64 is hard to come by that is partly my own fault for choosing a chambering that was a bit on the obscure side!

I know my local RFD was of the opinion that he could source some, not sure on exactly what spec. I think privi even do it, as far as I'm aware, they don't import it in the UK.

If I struggle, first effort will be to look to picking some up when I'm working in England, if I draw a blank, I'd then look to Europe. I have a European firearms pass, and could take my wife for a short break to some romantic city within easy distance of a gunshop! lol
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#5 Post by DW58 »

My local dealer stocks 7x64mm ammunition and in my experience from owning once for several years it was never a problem with Scottish dealers because so many visiting European stalkers use the calibre.

In Europe you'll get a huge choice with it being one of the primary calibres in certainly Germany/Austria/Luxembourg/Czech Republic/Poland and several other countries, plus almost every European manufacturer offers several loads for it, it's only surpassed by .308, .30-06, 7x57mm and a couple of others in variety of loadings.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
Dustyman

#6 Post by Dustyman »

I probably got some spare brass if you are stuck and might have some spare dies , I'll look later
243, 7mm , 22, 308 , 45, 357, 9mm, v8, 120mph, 36.26.34, Do you notice how all good things have numbers in them ?
DL.

#7 Post by DL. »

This week I have been mostly shooting my 7x64. Getting on really well with it. :good:

Rarms
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Rarms »

Shot it for the last ten years. No issues getting ammo or components really