Cast bullets in .308

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Cast bullets in .308

#71 Post by bradaz11 »

Alpha1 wrote: I have not touched my cast bench press in months either all my prep and reloading has been done on my computer desk using the Wamadet and my Arbor press.

This post is starting to sound like a diary but I can understand that why would people want to read a thread about shooting cast boolits(eventually)
in .308 when they can read really exciting threads about EU law changes or increases in fees for clubs or discounted bulk ammunition sales for Gods sake.

That's enough for now I have to rush off and see whats going on in the interesting threads I just mentioned. Oh and one not to be missed the fact that we are all terrorists riveting stuff.
I wouldn't take it personally, I think there just isn't much to say until you start doing things, in the last 3 posts all that happened is you ordered and reccieved a rail, and got an action vice.

I'll ask some questions though...
Are you going to attempt to remove the fore sight from the section of barrel you cut off? and what would be you first thought of process to do it?
what cast iron press do you have (which you don't use)
when you tap the action for the scope mount, are you leaving the barrel attached, or are you going to try your new action vice and crack it off?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#72 Post by Alpha1 »

I will probably try and remove the front sight . Its probably sweated on . I might try putting it on the mill and boring it out. Not really sure yet to be honest.
My bench mounted press is a Lyman crusher I bought it many years ago when I first stareted shooting and its served me well. I have not used it since I bought the Wamadet.
I would like to remove the barrel from the action to fit the scope mount But we will see.
I want to be able to shoot it the first week in April with cast bullets at 100 yards. So I need to be assembling the ammunition over the next week. I have prepped the cases. I will be using unique and 2400 powders and trying them along side each other.
Alpha1

#73 Post by Alpha1 »

I'm waiting for bits to arrive now before I can get on I have ordered a universal action wrench and a dedicated Mauser jaw for the wrench so I don't damage anything if I attempt to dismantle it.
g-p-c
Home club or Range: Grange, Wirral

#74 Post by g-p-c »

I have used a 30cal 160gn RCBS gas check, flat point mould for over 25 years with good success using Unique and 2400 powders. The economy of cast bullet reloading in 308 is a good bonus to the fun of experimenting. The item whose cost stands out, though, is shop-bought gas checks! They're dearer than primers, and there's much less involved in their manufacture.

Does anyone have experience of FreeChex or Pat Marlin's Checkmaker gas check making tools?
Alpha1

#75 Post by Alpha1 »

g-p-c wrote:I have used a 30cal 160gn RCBS gas check, flat point mould for over 25 years with good success using Unique and 2400 powders. The economy of cast bullet reloading in 308 is a good bonus to the fun of experimenting. The item whose cost stands out, though, is shop-bought gas checks! They're dearer than primers, and there's much less involved in their manufacture.

Does anyone have experience of FreeChex or Pat Marlin's Checkmaker gas check making tools?
Hi g-p-c I am not familiar with FreeChex or Pat Marlin's Checkmaker gas check making tools? sounds interesting they should not be to difficult to make. I have never thought about making my own may be some thing I should look at.
I have been shooting the rifle with cast I just stopped posting about it on the forum as there does not seem to be any interest.
The tools I ordered arrived so I was able to make progress on the gun smithing front well sort of. One thing I did over look the rifle is actually chambered for 7.62 not .308 so I had to have a rethink about chamber dimensions cartridge re loading etc. I fitted a proper Mauser scope rail and mounted a scope. I got the idea of making a jig to fit it of another forum member. I have sourced a Mauser stock to replace the heavy target rifle stock it came in. Its a on going project some thing to keep me occupied during the winter months probably. In the mean time I will just shoot it.
Now summer is here I have other toys to occupy me. Im currently re building a lathe my priority is to get that up and running before I get involved in anything else gun related.

What rifle are you shooting .308 in by the way.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#76 Post by dromia »

I have had Pat's set up since it came out makes good checks but life is too short for making gas checks one at a time.

Don't know where you get your gas checks from but they shouldn't be £40+/1000 for say 30 cal.

As most of my rifle shooting is up to only 2000 fps, more than adequate for target shooting out to 600yrds, then plain base bullets serve me well, for faster loads I may consider a GC design.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
g-p-c
Home club or Range: Grange, Wirral

#77 Post by g-p-c »

Thanks Alpha1 and dromia for your notes.
My 308 is a heavy barrelled Rem 700 in a Bell & Carlson stock, Trigger-Tech trigger (ordered from Canada as soon as they were available in 2015) and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x scope.
Good to hear Pat Marlin's gas checks are successful. I friend locally uses the FreChex 2 setup (they now make a mark 3) and uses aluminium cans as the raw material. I have some 0.3mm copper sheet which I'll use when I choose which one to buy.

Dromia, you're partly right about life being too short, but look at what else we do to enjoy our sport: clean primer pockets, trim brass, trickle powder, cast bullets, etc, etc. so one more hour spent knocking out a tub of gas checks won't be too bad in the grand scheme of things!

Alpha1, I too find few shooters locally have considered cast bullets in bottle-neck full-bores. But I'll happily share my experience with you. I've been POWDER COATING my gallery rife 38/357 home-cast bullets for a couple of years now - and will compare powder coated 308s to lubed ones this summer and report back.
Why powder coat? you may ask! I read on US forums that people were doing it, so tried it for various reasons: cleaner bore, less smoke on indoor ranges, less lead exposure when reloading... and they're cool looking too.

Thanks for your feedback, my previous post was my first, as I only joined yesterday.
Alpha1

#78 Post by Alpha1 »

Welcome to the forum.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#79 Post by Ovenpaa »

G-p-c I would be interested in hearing about your powder coating process as we also shoot some cast loads and I am sure the Viking would like some blood red bullets to match her eyes...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#80 Post by dromia »

Trust me if you have any imagination at all then making gas checks is no fun, it would take me an inordinate amount of time to keep up with gas checks for my cast bullets and most of them are plain based, I find it a mighty chore making gas checks as I do brass prep. I rarely trickle powder, I have a Target Master, trim cases or clean primer pockets, sooner bin the brass and buy new when the lengths start to vary too much. For keeping my averages out to 600 yrds I don't need to do all the preparatory, QC work that I used to when I was shooting cast out 1000 yrd and beyond. I like my shooting as well as my casting and handloading but like to try and keep a sense of proportion 'tween all the elements, still if tedium floats your boat and you only need few score checks a month then go to it and be happy.

If you care to do a search on here you will find members who do and have been shooting cast bullets in bottle necked case for a long time including Alpha1, whose modesty is often mistaken for lunacy, many detailed threads on the subject in many interesting calibres, do not be deceived by Alpha's endearing naivety.

Nothing new about cast bullets here.

One question about powder/epoxy coating do you seriously think this actually makes a difference "less lead exposure when reloading"?

Personally I am far more worried about primer lead inhalation when shooting than preparing, handling, casting and loading lead bullets, do you have some different information? If so please share.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/