Cast bullets in .308

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Cast bullets in .308

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I have a project for 2016. Its a .308 target rifle I'm going to mess with. I have .308 rifles that perform perfectly well with jacketed bullets. So I thought it would be a bit of fun to have a play with cast bullets
(they don't like me referring to them as cast boolits apparently)
Any way I have been looking on NOE website no I don't know what NOE stands for but Adam does. They have a couple of moulds that look promising. Id like a loverin to start off with I think.
So I'm looking for any info on shooting cast in .308. Should I be looking at gas checked moulds or will plain base work the ranges I have access to I'm looking at 500 yards maximum.
The rifle will not be used in target rifle set up it will be on a bipod with a scope on it rested on a back bag.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Cast bullets in .308

#2 Post by dromia »

Gas checked to be on the safe side if going out to 500 yards.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am moving more and more to cast bullets for shorter distances so I will watch this project with interest and look forward to updates.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

NOE have a mould on offer at the moment it's one of there monthly specials I'm tempted to buy one for this project. I'll post a link later.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Why just the "shorter distances"?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

dromia wrote:Why just the "shorter distances"?
The only reason is the rifle ranges I shoot allow me to shoot to 100 yards then with a jump out to 1000 yards and more and the only intermediate distance is 800 which I seldom shoot. To shoot medium distances would mean finding yet another club with suitable facilities.

I have shot 1000 with cast in a .303 however it was sketchy at best.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin

#7 Post by dromia »

Like all things you need to understand what is going on to get cast boolits to shoot well at 1000+ yards. It is not difficult but a sound understanding of cast boolits, the alloy properties and behaviour is necessary.

What fun!

The 303 is a particularly good long range target round for cast as there is a better cast boolit selection than jacketed for the calibre.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#8 Post by Mike95 »

GC a must....want them sized at .310/311. Dodgy Rog does an excellent Loverin at 155 gn. Shellhouse does a good bore rider at 170 gn. Buy an M die for neck expansion when reloading.
Mike95
dromia
Site Admin

#9 Post by dromia »

Gas checks are not necessarily a must, it depends on many factors, I shoot plain based boolits at 2000 fps with accuracy i quiet a few rifles, on the other hand my No4T won't shoot plain based boolits at any velocity.

Boolit diameter will ultimately depend on his rifle and the actual freebore/groove/bore dimensions.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

I'll be slugging the bore before I make a start that will tell me the diameter of bullet I need. I'm thinking of something in about 180grain preferably a Loverin.
Most of my shooting will be done at 100 to 200 yards with the occasional shoot out to 500 yards.
Will wheel weights suffice or should I be looking at mixing a different alloy.