Re: 338 lapua magnum brass life

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Berger
Home club or Range: Bisley

#1 Post by Berger »

How many reloads are you getting per case.cheers Berger
tisme

Re: Re: 338 lapua magnum brass life

#2 Post by tisme »

6-8 On Lapua brass with lower than full % loads. Its and expensive caliber.
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

#3 Post by ColinR »

I shoot a fairly hot load in an AI .338 using Lapua and Ruag brass - 88.5 grains N165, about 2800 fps. I reckon to get 5 - 6 loadings and have just noticed some of the Ruag cases are starting to crack around the neck after 5 loadings. I expect the Lapua brass to last a little longer. I don't anneal and full length size.
Berger

#4 Post by Berger »

Thanks for replies.maybe after all it is going to be too expensive to buy and run a 338 lapua magnum.running it I could do.buying the rifle would stretch me.thinking keep the money for another 284 barrel and buy some bits n bobs I've put off getting.
ColinR

#5 Post by ColinR »

Berger wrote:Thanks for replies.maybe after all it is going to be too expensive to buy and run a 338 lapua magnum.running it I could do.buying the rifle would stretch me.thinking keep the money for another 284 barrel and buy some bits n bobs I've put off getting.
But you will miss a whole lot of fun. It is expensive to shoot, what with barrel wear etc. I have two AI's, one in .308 and one in .338 and was told by many who should know that I would not want to shoot the .338 anywhere as much as the .308 due to discomfort. Not so. I can shoot over 100 rounds of full house .338 without any adverse effect. When I first shot it I was aware of quite a lot of muzzle blast which gave me a headache and I thought all the naysayers were right. Now I don't notice muzzle blast (everyone else around does!!) and to be honest recoil is negligible. Although I have a moderator I don't use it as I think it actually increases the recoil over a muzzle brake. There is so much gas coming out the end I think it works more like a rocket motor, but undoubtedly more sociable if you have shooters alongside. Can't shoot it many places except with FCSA - verboten at Bisley - and at Orion in Wales where .338 is undoubtedly more at home, given the distances available, than .308. Think again, you don't know what you are missing.
Berger

#6 Post by Berger »

I fired 40 shots with a mates 338 at the last fcsa shoot about 9 days ago at sailsbury plane and loved it.i only steered it to 1350yds as my mates BORS was 100yds out.it took me too many shots to realise it was falling way short.i was shooting inbetween some 50 cals so I got plenty of blasts.
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#7 Post by BooBoo »

Berger, I have to agree with Colin above... I also generally take both a 308 (or 260 if this tube is fitted) and a 338 along to FCSA days. The 338 is very pleasing to shoot, helped greatly I suspect by the muzzle brake of the AI (all of the above are AI).

Personally, I find the recoil pulse of the 338 easier to handle than heavier bullets in the 308... and I am not a big chap!

I'm on 93 of N170 behind a 250 Scenar, which is a fairly gentle load. I do anneal, so I hope (at £2.35 a case) that my Lapua brass goes on and on.

BW, Simon
ColinR

#8 Post by ColinR »

BooBoo wrote:Berger, I have to agree with Colin above... I also generally take both a 308 (or 260 if this tube is fitted) and a 338 along to FCSA days. The 338 is very pleasing to shoot, helped greatly I suspect by the muzzle brake of the AI (all of the above are AI).

Personally, I find the recoil pulse of the 338 easier to handle than heavier bullets in the 308... and I am not a big chap!

I'm on 93 of N170 behind a 250 Scenar, which is a fairly gentle load. I do anneal, so I hope (at £2.35 a case) that my Lapua brass goes on and on.

BW, Simon
Hi Simon that load is slightly off the max and mine with a 250 Lockbase is slightly over the max, I'm sure someone on here will be able to confirm the pressure differential. I never really got on with Scenars although maybe I did not devote sufficient time to trying. I have some 285 Hornadys to try, but if I remember correctly they load too long to fit the AWM magazine. The Lapua cases certainly seem to last better and maybe I should start to anneal for this calibre.
Berger

#9 Post by Berger »

I can recall looking on the brownells website and seeing the AI 338 lapua magnum magazines in different sizes to accommodate the longer oal's if that's any help.atb Berger
ColinR

#10 Post by ColinR »

Hi Berger I am not sure it is possible to use different magazines with the AWM as the length is determined by the magazine well into the action. These are single stack x 5. One or other CIP or SAAMI changed the max COAL of the .338LM cartridge to a length which would not fit the earlier magazines, but now both bullet and rifle manufacturers are working to the longer length, so magazines claiming to accept the longer cartridge only work in rifles of later design. Having said that I mostly use the Lapua 250 Lockbase which I believe is standard for the military and is designed to fit the older short magazines.