Decent book on reloading?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Ash

Decent book on reloading?

#1 Post by Ash »

As per title any recommendations I have seen one or two on amazon but poor reviews, anyone got an recommendations for a complete beginner? Prefer to have a book so I have something for my commute.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Decent book on reloading?

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

The Lyman reloading manual is a good informative read.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

Which ones did you look at which were rated as poor? I have the Speer 14th Edition loading manual that came with my press and that did a sufficient job at teaching the basics for reloading. If there are sections that don't seem straight forward, do a search on YouTube as it can be a bit easier when you see the process than reading it. The Speer loading book contains load data for every calibre I load for (except for 6.5x47 Lapua) but bear in mind the load data is only for Speer bullets.

Most loading manuals are made by bullet manufacturers (e.g. Speer, Sierra) and the data will be based on their bullets so I would think about what bullets you intend to use the most and buy a loading manual to suit.
The Gun Pimp

#4 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Are you looking to learn about reloading or simply looking for load data?

If it's the former, then the Sierra DVD by David Tubb is excellent - takes you from beginner to advanced reloading.
Laurie

#5 Post by Laurie »

As a general guide, Lyman is probably the best of the tools / bullets / powders manuals. Being the sole tool provider's effort, it's not limited to a single brand of bullet or powder in its load tables as a bonus. (For that sort of data, manufacturer's online sources are better anyway nowadays as they update them frequently, and have either given up on printed manuals or haven't produced a new one in years.)

As a 'how to, nuts & bolts' book, have a look at Zediker Publishing for Glenn Zediker's books. 'Top Grade Ammo' is his most recent effort and an excellent primer on tools and step by step operations and techniques. His older book on handloading for competition is one of the most widely read works on the subject.

http://www.zediker.com/books/TGA/TGA_main.html

Unfortunately, Amazon UK doesn't stock Zediker's books, so it's a case of direct purchase from Zediker Publishing in the USA which works out expensive with postage.
Ash

#6 Post by Ash »

Thanks, I ordered a Lyman book and also taken a look at the Sierra DVD suggested, will hold of on that for now though. The book I was referring to before was a beginners guide that covered the bare minimum but is reflected in the price of the book.
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

#7 Post by ColinR »

Ash wrote:Thanks, I ordered a Lyman book and also taken a look at the Sierra DVD suggested, will hold of on that for now though. The book I was referring to before was a beginners guide that covered the bare minimum but is reflected in the price of the book.
I use Vihtavouri powder so have their guides going back to the first edition. Just as an aside it is notable that exactly the same loads seem to reduce over time. Not sure if that is due to changes in the powder composition or fear of legal action. I digress, no need for a book here as currently their load data is easily accessed on line and while it only covers Vihtavouri powders it covers a wide range of bullet manufacturers. If you can pick up one of their older editions they contain good guides to safe reloading, but for the reason stated above do not rely on the load data in old editions - always use the current online data.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#8 Post by WelshShooter »

ColinR wrote:
Ash wrote:Thanks, I ordered a Lyman book and also taken a look at the Sierra DVD suggested, will hold of on that for now though. The book I was referring to before was a beginners guide that covered the bare minimum but is reflected in the price of the book.
I use Vihtavouri powder so have their guides going back to the first edition. Just as an aside it is notable that exactly the same loads seem to reduce over time. Not sure if that is due to changes in the powder composition or fear of legal action. I digress, no need for a book here as currently their load data is easily accessed on line and while it only covers Vihtavouri powders it covers a wide range of bullet manufacturers. If you can pick up one of their older editions they contain good guides to safe reloading, but for the reason stated above do not rely on the load data in old editions - always use the current online data.
I've seen this remark on powder charges reducing over time a couple of times. Can you tell me whether the velocity is also reducing over time for the same powder and bullet combination? If the velocity remains constant (assuming they use the same test barrel and equipment), then it wouldn't be too wild a guess to deduce that the powder manufacturers have made their powder produce more energy "grain for grain"?
ColinR

#9 Post by ColinR »

I have never checked the velocities quoted but I will have a look tonight and get back.

The problem arises in that N140, or any Viht powder for that matter, has retained the same reference number since start of manufacture. There is no suffix such as N140/2 so if you have older stocks of powder, as I have, if the energy of the powder has changed there is no way to relate it to a particular data set. I am not sure what data set they are now on, but I think about 7th or 8th edition. There have never, to my knowledge, been any releases to the effect that, for instance, N140 has been made more efficient. I do believe they say use the latest data, but if the composition has changed how does that relate to older dated powders? I am sure if the energy were changing they would have to match product to data and that is not the case. It will be interesting to see if velocities have changed given reduced charges and the same test rig.

Viht powder canisters are always dated with date of manufacture, unlike many competitors powders, but whatever you buy seems always to have been made at least a couple of years previously. Recently Viht have advised that they are now adding a copper fouling reduction to their powders indicated with a special logo on the label. A week ago I collected two tubs of N135 which had just arrived from the importer, Hannams. These were dated 2015 and were not the latest powder with copper fouling reduction. There always seems to be quite a time lag between manufacture and the powder reaching the retailer, so quite how they would relate powders made over time to any specific data is a mystery if the latest production has the energy increased and the load data decreased. I suspect that is not the reason and more likely one of legal responsibility, or more simply, fear of prosecution.
ColinR

#10 Post by ColinR »

Welshshooter, I checked a couple of loads for N140 and N165 from Vihtavouri edition 2 Reloading Data, Edition 7 and current online.

150 Sierra HPBT .308 N140

Edition 2 1995 Edition 7 ? Online 2017
46.8 47.3 47.3
2814 fps 2851 fps 2851 fps

250 Lockbase .338 N165

94.6 88.5 87.5
2933 fps 2906 fps 2858 fps

Interestingly the 150 Sierra has increase in both charge weight and velocity. Incidentally all these figures are from Max charge data. So one could assume that N140 has become less energetic except velocity has increased. I do not personally use 150 Sierra, but it was listed in all Editions, not so 155 which I use.

On the other hand 250 Lockbase is reduced across all data sets and velocity has also reduced in line with reduced max charge. This suggests same energy available in N165 from 1995 to 2017 and max charge reduced for some other reason.

I am sure you can apply some maths to these figures to see if velocity and charge correlate. Interesting.

Test barrels same length with same twist, but primers and cases are different.

Having uploaded I can see that the formatting has changed but the figures are all there, maybe not as clear as when they were drafted.