Reloading for an Underlever..

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
falco67

Re: Reloading for an Underlever..

#11 Post by falco67 »

Thanks for all the replies and what a wealth of information in one place..I spent some time on Google yesterday morning and didn't get anywhere that amount of detail.

Without quoting everybody but thanking everybody..

I will be shooting indoor at 25mtr and outdoor at 25mtr and 50mtr..I would like to have a go at stretching to 100mtr.

The 300 bullets that I have are GM 240 grain 3605M in Kranks catalogue so the info from DavidRees was right on the nose :good:

When making up the dummy round I did notice the shaving of some lead..no flare because I didn't know. But now I do; I went into the shed last night and dug out a Lee Universal Flare Die that I have from another project, experimented with the settings and I now have 50 magnum cases that have a slight flare. :good:

I'm not so sure about how to apply the crimp..I'm tempted to buy the Lee Factory carbide crimp die, but the info with Carbide 3 die set that I have says I can do it with the seating die? I will go and experiment :)

Thanks for the recommends on the loads and reminder of checking for double loading..I was taught from the beginning to check all cases with a torch and I always weigh my completed rounds anyway for the same reason

All that remains is to make up some rounds and go shoot...

regards

Geoff
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#12 Post by mag41uk »

The seating die you have will crimp.
Whatever load you make for 25/50 will be ok out to 200.
Drop at 100 with a 44 is around 8 inches.
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#13 Post by FredB »

If you do not crimp, then eventually you will have a bullet pushed back into the case by the feed ramp. If the round does finally feed, then you will have pushed the pressure up high ---probably still OK with a light charge, but potentially lethal with a heavy one.
Fred
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

falco67 wrote: I went into the shed last night and dug out a Lee Universal Flare Die that I have from another project

I'm not so sure about how to apply the crimp..I'm tempted to buy the Lee Factory carbide crimp die, but the info with Carbide 3 die set that I have says I can do it with the seating die?
If you are using your 3 die set, the powder thru expansion die can also flare the case when powder charging

what press are you using to load?

when I load 44, I use my lee cast turret press, using the lee dies, I do not apply crimp with the seating die, prefering instead to use a Factory crimp die to apply it, as these dies also do a final check on the outside dia of the case after seating.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
falco67

#15 Post by falco67 »

bradaz11 wrote:
falco67 wrote: I went into the shed last night and dug out a Lee Universal Flare Die that I have from another project

I'm not so sure about how to apply the crimp..I'm tempted to buy the Lee Factory carbide crimp die, but the info with Carbide 3 die set that I have says I can do it with the seating die?
If you are using your 3 die set, the powder thru expansion die can also flare the case when powder charging

what press are you using to load?

when I load 44, I use my lee cast turret press, using the lee dies, I do not apply crimp with the seating die, prefering instead to use a Factory crimp die to apply it, as these dies also do a final check on the outside dia of the case after seating.
I'm using a Lee 4 Hole Turret Press.

I have the powder thru expansion die but it doesn't do anything as far as I can see. Its set up as per the instructions..its used from someone else..I suspect its not complete.

I'll see how I go on with the seating die, I will probably buy the Factory Crimp Die.

regards

Geoff
bradaz11

#16 Post by bradaz11 »

Are using a Lee powder unit thru the die? If it doesn't have a thrower screwed in then the insert which is loose in the die which actuates the thrower will not push on the case to expand it. You screw the die in to expand more
falco67

#17 Post by falco67 »

bradaz11 wrote:Are using a Lee powder unit thru the die? If it doesn't have a thrower screwed in then the insert which is loose in the die which actuates the thrower will not push on the case to expand it. You screw the die in to expand more
Its Lee Powder Thru Die..no thrower screwed in..thanks, thats why it doesn't work!
falco67

#18 Post by falco67 »

This looks OK to me..
Attachments
44-crimp.jpg
bradaz11

#19 Post by bradaz11 »

looks a little long? I usually crimp into the provided canulure, unless the GM's are slightly longer?
phaedra1106

#20 Post by phaedra1106 »

Agreed, crimp should be in the cannelure, GM's are "normal" size for a 200 or 240gr.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)