Cleaning Brass

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Gerry939
Home club or Range: WNSC

Cleaning Brass

#1 Post by Gerry939 »

I use Hornady Media and my brass is ok , now some say to use one shot to the media to make the brass extra clean, others say that to add this is a waste of time and makes the media sticky and clogs up the primer pockets...I have heard some say they add car polish.....does anyone use this method..... thankssign :flag13:
:flag6: Gerry939
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Cleaning Brass

#2 Post by dromia »

Cheapest car polish I can find, around a small teaspoonful cut 1/2 and 1/2 with white spirit.

Do a search been done to death on here multiple times.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Gerry939
Home club or Range: WNSC

#3 Post by Gerry939 »

Done a search ...yes done to death thanks
:flag6: Gerry939
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

The benefits of a search is that there are posts and points of view that may not be aired this time so worth doing for some more insights than just the current thread may give.

Also a current post may bring forth ideas not seen before so it isn't an either or.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Gazza

#5 Post by Gazza »

I was cleaning a pan yesterday with caustic soda after a particularly "robust" cooking session and wondered if caustic soda was any good at cleaning brass. Anyone tried it?
AL8

#6 Post by AL8 »

I think it may wreck the brass, but I am sure a chemist will be along shortly to give a better explaination
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#7 Post by WelshShooter »

People have used baking soda mixed with white vinegar and dish soap as a poor man's solution to cleaning cases. I tried it as a start into my ultrasonic journey and while it worked well, I found that the smell of vinegar was a bit much. I find that dehydrated citric acid mixed with water and dish soap does just as good a job without all the smell. You can pick up the dehydrated citric acid (it looks like a clear bag of sugar) on ebay for cheap.

After I give the cases a clean I usually tumble them for 20 mins to get them nice and shiny.

Vinegar cleaning solution
http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Citric acid cleaning solution
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ss-cleaner
ballkeeper
Home club or Range: lanc

#8 Post by ballkeeper »

been using rice and a teaspoon of brasso in my tumbler,30-60min doing a great job
chris
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Is this added to 'dry' corn cob type media?? I thought this sort of thing what the flash-Harrys that use the stainless steel pins do? As per the OP I would've thought adding any liquid would result in a sticky mess/a claggy ball rolling around inside the tumbler?
DVC
dromia
Site Admin

#10 Post by dromia »

To be on the safe side it is best to stay away from Brasso, it contains ammonia which weakens and degrades brass.

All those old brass ornaments you used to see that have lost their definition and sharpness is usually due to the enthusiastic application of Brasso.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!