Bench Source or AMP Annealing machine

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

Re: Bench Source or AMP Annealing machine

#11 Post by ColinR »

Most of my shooting these days in .308 and .338LM is at long range, so if I am bothered to properly clean and size the brass, use premium bullets, primers and individually measure powders why wouldn't I explore every avenue to improve vertical stringing. Currently the best ES I can achieve with four times fired Lapua .338LM brass is around 21 fps and I am starting to feel the differences in neck tension when seating bullets. I am hoping that annealing will bring the the ES down to single figures.

There is so much written about neck annealing but by far the consensus is that the temperature and time need to be spot on to get necks consistent. If you are striving for perfection a bit too much or a bit too little heat across a batch of cases is hardly likely to give the improvement I'm looking for. The AMP machine ticks all the boxes, but at a price. It seems the customer service from AMP in New Zealand is second to none and they will even test the hardness of your own brass for free and actually encourage people to use this service to build their data base which will give an annealing program by calibre and manufacturer and sometime even by batch number. No one else seems to come close to this perfection.

I too am still shooting gallery with .357 cases I had before the pistol ban. I tend to load to 1200 fps, a bit much for gallery but it easily takes me out to 100 yards if I feel inclined. The cases don't split or stretch and I still load on an RCBS Ammomaster press that I had from way back, when I'd shoot maybe 500 rounds on a Sunday morning. It was then fully progressive but when I started rifle reloading I converted it, so now everything gets loaded single stage.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Bench Source or AMP Annealing machine

#12 Post by FredB »

The old pistol brass that I anneal is 44-40. I bought a 44-40 '92 Winchester in 1984 with 100 Remington and 100 Winchester cases. I still have most of them. The 44-40 brass cases are very thin and work harden rapidly. I anneal them after every 10 reloads.
Other calibres that I shoot use very expensive brass: .43 Mauser. 300 Sherwood, 310 cadet, 577 Snider and 8.15 x 46R.
Fred