Bullets Tumbling...

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

Re: Bullets Tumbling...

#21 Post by TomH »

Did you clean all the copper fouling (from Jacketed Bullets) out of your barrel before using Cast Boolits?
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#22 Post by FredB »

Sometimes mistakes in print get carried on from one publication to another. Many US publications state that early original 44-40s have a groove diameter of .427" and later ones are .429". My own 44-40 was made in 1903 and slugs out at .429". I have also slugged and measured two original 19th century model 73 rifles and they too were .429" in groove diameter.
The question of measuring groove diameter in a barrel with an odd number of lands and grooves often comes up. What I do is to slug the barrel and then stick a piece of scrap steel in the lathe, drill it undersize and then carefully open the hole up with a boring bar until the slug will just push into it. Then measure the size of the hole.
Fred
SkyDyno

#23 Post by SkyDyno »

TomH wrote:Did you clean all the copper fouling (from Jacketed Bullets) out of your barrel before using Cast Boolits?
It's had a thorough clean and de-leading.

I'm going to sort out some .430/.431 bullets and give those a go.
SkyDyno

#24 Post by SkyDyno »

Well after some time away I'm back to it.

Looks like I've found the problem..... gun doesn't like hard cast bullets. Doesn't matter the size or supplier.

The .44 special were OK because they were a very soft bullet. The Magnum are copper jacketed.

I've ended up with some copper washed 245gr bullets that are all shooting straight with no signs of tumbling at all.

Thanks to all of those that helped me towards the solution..... :-)