Bullets Tumbling...

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
SkyDyno

Bullets Tumbling...

#1 Post by SkyDyno »

Hi There.

My first post here so I apologise if it's in the wrong place....

helpsign

I'm reloading .44 using a RL550b, Dillon size and power dies and a Lee seating and crimp die. I'm using Vihtavuori N320 powder, 240gr Lead SWC with 1.) 8.1gr powder and 2.) 6.0gr powder.

The pistol is a long barrelled Taurus .44 (Mod 66 ? - I'm in the UK so it's just referred to as a Taurus .44 LBR)

When using factory ammunition it shoots fine - what I expect from the gun and me.

When I use home loads the bullets tumble, going through the target sideways.. from 15 yrds out to 25. Distance doesn't seem to matter. Both 6gr and 8gr do the same.

The gun has been thoroughly cleaned and checked... no bulges etc. and the cylinder bores are as they should be. The fact it shoots fine with factory would suggest it's not the gun.

So.... I've tried:-

Changing the load - no difference.
Changing the crimp - no difference.
Checked the powder - good for purpose.

I've pushed a head down the barrel manually to get a sizing at the forcing cone. As far as I can tell the bullet measures .429/.430 - as it should be.

I could load using jacketed heads to try. I could change the bullet weight. I could change the powder...... heeeelp

But I'm at a loss as to where to look or what the problem might be.

So, over to the experts who can point me in the right direction and forgive my ignorance and stupidity if that's what it is... (after running away and hiding)

I look forwards to your suggestions and ideas....

Thanks.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Bullets Tumbling...

#2 Post by dromia »

Welcome!

How on earth did you manage to get your head down the forcing cone?

What you don't give is the key measurement, the diameter of the bullets. Tumbling is usually a function of too small a bullet and too hard an alloy.

The other situation is when the chamber is smaller than the groove diameters but if this was the case then it would happen with the factory as well, it sounds very much like the size quality of you bullet, is it home cast or commercial?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

Welcome to the forum. The projectiles are called bullets, and not heads. The head of a bullet is the underside of the brass case with the makers "headstamp".

Looking at the load data... Vihtavuori's website lists either a 240gr jacketed round with N320 but a starting load of 8.9gr to 9.7gr; or a 248gr Lead RNFP with N32C with a starting load of 7.6gr to 9.6gr. I'm assuming you've used the 240gr load data and 6gr and 8gr are lower than the starting loads. What made you choose these?

Your lead bullet should measure a couple of thousandth's over the bore size. If you slugged your bore as .429 then you should use a lead bullet of .431 or so.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

I would recommend a softer boolit sized to 430" and lubed with a soft(er) lube.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
SkyDyno

#5 Post by SkyDyno »

Dromia thanks for your reply....

The bullet heads are commercial Hannam SWC 240gr heads labelled at .429 Dia. The random few I've checked do seem to be that.

I've had 10 rnds from some one else's reloads (200grn head though) but they did the same. The only thing I will say to that is I think the heads were from the same place, just a different weight. These heads do seem to be very hard compared to the factory magtech that I have, a fact that some one has mentioned now that I think of it.

It's driving me wild. If I can resolve the issue then I'll have to look for a different gun. I've had this one from new, It hasn't been abused or had hundreds of rounds through it...
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

WelshShooter wrote:Your lead bullet should measure a couple of thousandth's over the bore size. If you slugged your bore as .429 then you should use a lead bullet of .431 or so.
Your bullets should be a couple of thou over groove diameter not bore diameter unless of course the chamber diameter is smaller.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#7 Post by WelshShooter »

dromia wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:Your lead bullet should measure a couple of thousandth's over the bore size. If you slugged your bore as .429 then you should use a lead bullet of .431 or so.
Your bullets should be a couple of thou over groove diameter not bore diameter unless of course the chamber diameter is smaller.
Oops, well spotted, my mistake :good:
dromia
Site Admin

#8 Post by dromia »

SkyDyno wrote:Dromia thanks for your reply....

The bullet heads are commercial Hannam SWC 240gr heads labelled at .429 Dia. The random few I've checked do seem to be that.

I've had 10 rnds from some one else's reloads (200grn head though) but they did the same. The only thing I will say to that is I think the heads were from the same place, just a different weight. These heads do seem to be very hard compared to the factory magtech that I have, a fact that some one has mentioned now that I think of it.

It's driving me wild. If I can resolve the issue then I'll have to look for a different gun. I've had this one from new, It hasn't been abused or had hundreds of rounds through it...
What are these heads you keep talking about?

I know Hannams sell hard cast bullets, is that what you mean?

If so then they sound too small and too hard.

You need to get a decent soft alloy bullet of a suitable diameter, as has been already said around 2 thou over groove, not bore diameter.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

SkyDyno

#9 Post by SkyDyno »

WelshShooter wrote:Welcome to the forum. The projectiles are called bullets, and not heads. The head of a bullet is the underside of the brass case with the makers "headstamp".

Looking at the load data... Vihtavuori's website lists either a 240gr jacketed round with N320 but a starting load of 8.9gr to 9.7gr; or a 248gr Lead RNFP with N32C with a starting load of 7.6gr to 9.6gr. I'm assuming you've used the 240gr load data and 6gr and 8gr are lower than the starting loads. What made you choose these?

Your lead bullet should measure a couple of thousandth's over the bore size. If you slugged your bore as .429 then you should use a lead bullet of .431 or so.
Thanks for the info, I'll try to get it right next time.. saves on confusion... :oops:

That makes sense. Only slugged the bore this morning.

I started at 8 not wanting full magnum loads at present. On reading and conversation tried some a bit lower at 6 to see if there were any changes. None so back to 8.9

dodgyrog wrote:I would recommend a softer boolit sized to 430" and lubed with a soft(er) lube.
As above, makes sense. Now to find some and try....
SkyDyno

#10 Post by SkyDyno »

My apologies to all.....

Bullet is what I meant.

Consider your point made. :oops: