Lee factory crimp die

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Lee factory crimp die

#11 Post by dromia »

If it suits you fine but my point still stands, and if you want to get the best accuracy then you need to deal with your issues rather than bandaging the symptom.

I use a lot of live quarry ammunition too, from rats to red deer and nary a load needs neck turning, extra cost or crimping, in fact a crimp die would be a extra cost. You seem to be making a meal of your handloading, but if you are happy with that level so be it.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Oddbod

#12 Post by Oddbod »

dromia wrote:If it suits you fine but my point still stands, and if you want to get the best accuracy then you need to deal with your issues rather than bandaging the symptom.

I use a lot of live quarry ammunition too, from rats to red deer and nary a load needs neck turning, extra cost or crimping, in fact a crimp die would be a extra cost. You seem to be making a meal of your handloading, but if you are happy with that level so be it.
What issues are you talking about & what symptom?

It takes five seconds to run a loaded round into a FCD & the cost is minimal.

I don't 'make a meal' out of reloading, though I've certainly done plenty - more than 50,000 rounds of rifle & pistol in the last decade alone.
Not all are run through the FCD because it's not needed for certain applications.
Back to back testing shows a small but significant improvement & any nay-saying doesn't change that.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

I don't doubt your small improvement but you still don't know the cause of the problem that the crimp die is marginally fixing, band aid reloading.

That seems a good enough reloading standard for you so carry on.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
The Lord Flashheart
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Ham & Pea

#14 Post by The Lord Flashheart »

The Lee crimp die can be very usueful in certain situations.

The first and most straightforward scenario is when ammunition needs to be crimped and you want to do it without wasting cases setting up a seat/crimp die. In my case this means on hard kicking magazine hunting rifles. In these circumstances the worry is not so much accuracy loss from OAL change but the potential for misfeeding in an pinch, expecially on the sort of hunt where you are topping up your magazine wherever possible. A further advantage of the Lee crimp die over the seating/crimping die is that you don't have to be as precise with case trimming, handy for when the cases are all under max length but vary a bit.

The second instance where they are very useful is where you don't have much parallel shank on a particular bullet ( so simply seating deeper doesn't give you more grip on the bullet) and you are using magnum primers, particularly with ball powder. An example of this might my 125 grain Sierra SP loads in my 308. Using the book max charge of Hogdon BL-C(2) with the bullet seated to maximum shank in the neck gave best accuracy together with velocity but large ES and a persistent flyer. Irregular ignition was suspected using CCI BR primers and a magnum primer tried with no real improvement. A light crimp on the case mouth with the magnum primer dropped the ES to around 25 fps and eliminated the flyer. Testing with the original CCI BR primers and crimp resulted in the large ES and the flyer again and so the crimp made the difference in this case.

Now, was this because the load was fundamentally defective?

In my submission not.

BL-C (2) powder was expressely designed for the 308, perfectly valid powder choice.

Sierra 125 grain SP bullets were expressly designed for the 308, perfectly valid bullet choice.

CCI BR primers were expressly designed for this class of usage, again a perfectly valid choice.

However, until the internal ballistic problem was solved by the Lee crimp die, the load wasn't up to my standard.

A very useful tool, providing one understands it's uses.