Lee factory crimp die

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
RufusRover
Home club or Range: Cornwall Fullbore Pistol club

Lee factory crimp die

#1 Post by RufusRover »

Hi!

How many of you regularly use a crimp die (Lee or otherwise) and if you do have you done any testing to see what difference it makes to group size or muzzle velocity (Speed and consistency) ? thankssign
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Lee factory crimp die

#2 Post by dromia »

I never use crimp unless it is for tube magazine fed guns or revolvers. Taper crimps can help feeding in some auto rounds

If you need to crimp for consistency then there are other problems in your load that the crimp is but a bandage for.

With good consistent case neck thickness/tension and consistent bullet diameter then crimps are an unnecessary evil that will just over work your brass.

Crimps have their place in things that will get hard usage like military rounds and automatic feed firearms but for the majority of our shooting fortunately does not need it.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
RufusRover
Home club or Range: Cornwall Fullbore Pistol club

#3 Post by RufusRover »

Thanks for that, I did wonder what it would do to the brass.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

I have done a fair amount of testing with crimped and not as I was curious. My results showed no appreciable difference in velocity or consistency, but then all I was doing was crimping "quality" ammunition anyway. There was however, a slight difference in accuracy, which worsened when using the Lee die on bullets that didn't have a cannelure.

I don't bother crimping unless as Adam says a tube magazine or an LBR. However, I would crimp in a straight pull. Even though that type of rifle is a "bolt action" ostensibly, the manual action is still replicating the semi auto movement and the action can be quite violent because of the return springs and the feed angle from a box magazine.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#5 Post by kennyc »

I use the crimp die on all my hunting ammo, and as it is sub MOA at 100m I am happy enough,
I have read a lot about the Lee FCD and it would appear that people fall into 2 main camps, those that wouldn't crimp anyway, and those that claim the crimp reduces the speed variation in their rounds.
I cant say I've bothered to chrono that many rounds, just enough to confirm velocity of a charge, on the other hand I crimp my hunting ammo based on the grounds that it is likely to be loaded/unloaded several times in its life and a crimp to my mind is a way of reducing the chance of the bullet being seated deeper in the process (may not be necessary but as I say accurracy is fine so what the hell )
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#6 Post by ukrifleman »

I always use a Lee F/C die when loading cast bullets.

I adjust it to just take out the case neck flare, which is necessary to create a lead for flat based cast bullets to seat.

ukrifleman
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

#7 Post by legs748 »

ukrifleman wrote:I always use a Lee F/C die when loading cast bullets.

I adjust it to just take out the case neck flare, which is necessary to create a lead for flat based cast bullets to seat.

ukrifleman
So do I, I'm still new to cast bullets and found my loads for my smle were all over the place vertically, the crimp shrank the group appreciably.
It was working when i left it...........
Oddbod

#8 Post by Oddbod »

I use the Lee FCD on all my rifle ammunition, though the crimp applied is a light one.
I've seen a slight but consistent increase in accuracy viz the vertical component in groups.
I really need to dig out the chronograph & see if there is any real reduction in velocity spread.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

As I have said if the crimp "improves" your groups it is because of other issues in your load, get your components, loading process and dimensions right and there is no need to crimp for accuracy.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Oddbod

#10 Post by Oddbod »

dromia wrote:As I have said if the crimp "improves" your groups it is because of other issues in your load, get your components, loading process and dimensions right and there is no need to crimp for accuracy.
Or perhaps for all but super critical applications it saves on going to the extremes of case neck turning.

My components are fine, as is my loading process & the only variables I'm addressing using the Lee FCD are neck tension & concentricity.
Empirical evidence has demonstrated an improvement without major expense & for my applications (hunting mostly), that'll do just fine.