Weird results during ammo testing

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Weird results during ammo testing

#1 Post by Daryll »

I've recently been testing out some new .308 loads using Wildboar and today had something weird happen...

I normally shoot at 25yds (my club only has 25 and 50 yds ranges) and last Sunday I tested some batches with different charges, and also chrono'd them to try to get into the 2600 to 2700 fps range with 155 SMK's... only 18 inch barrel... and 44.0, 44.5 and 45.0 grains were in that range. (We have a club outing to Bisley and 900yds at the end of the month, so trying to get something suitable to reach that range.)

I normally shoot 178 gn Amax's and the rifle was zero'd at 25yds for those. The 155gn SMKs were hitting just under an inch high of my POA, but I didn't bother adjusting, just going for group size.

Today I tried more batches going up 0.2 grain at a time, 44.2, 44.4 etc up to 45.0, but I moved onto the 50 yd range to check group size better..

With the longer range, I was expecting the shots to go 1-2 inches high, so imagine my surprise when the first shot went 6 inches LOW...!
I dialed in 10MOA on the scope, and that then put them about 1/2 - 1 inch high of my POA.... and all the shots fired stayed around that as I went through the batches.

I was shooting from a bipod last week, but switched to a bag this week so that may make a little difference, but not that much!

i've checked the scope base and rings, all tight and the action seems tight... I'm puzzled...

So... what would cause a rifle / scope to shoot 10 MOA low between 25 and 50 yds..?
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

Re: Weird results during ammo testing

#2 Post by Duey »

Your round will still be rising at 25 yards and even 50yrds to cross line of sight I would think

Don't forget your scope will be about 2" above the barrel bore
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

Yes, that why i expected the 50 yd shots to be an inch or 2 higher than POA, as its still rising.

I think the above goes against all the laws of balistics, so there must be some other reason...

The only possible thing I can think of is that I turned the turret a whole turn the wrong way.... Thinking about it, last week i did dial the turrets down 5MOA so I could put 2 groups on the same target... I think when I went to turn them back to zero, I must have gone the wrong way so my sights were 15 MOA low to start with today..(my turrets are 15MOA per revolution)...

That then makes sense...

The turrets are currently still at 10MOA, i'll turn them another 5, so on the 0 mark, then try them again at 25yds next week... I have a feeling it will be pretty much shooting to POA... If it isn't, I'll be very mystified...!!
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

You have two zeros at each distance because of the looping trajectory of your bullet. My head explodes if I try and understand it any more than that though....
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#5 Post by Mattnall »

Your change of shooting rest can make an impact on the POI/POA variances.
If you find your turret issue isn't the problem then try shooting from the same rest at both distances and see if that has an effect.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.