Primers not going into some GGG .223 cases

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Primers not going into some GGG .223 cases

#1 Post by shugie »

I'm still at the very beginning of learning about reloading, and I've got a goodly stock of GGG .233 once fired brass that I'm starting work on. They've been tumbled to clean them, decapped and sized, and I cleaned out all the primer pockets with the Lyman hand cleaner.

But now I'm putting primers in, I'm using Remington small rifle primers, and in some cases they go easily, yet other cases won't take the primer. But if I switch cases around I can sometimes find a different one that does fit.

Am I missing something?
Careful now/that sort of thing
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Primers not going into some GGG .223 cases

#2 Post by kennyc »

shugie wrote:I'm still at the very beginning of learning about reloading, and I've got a goodly stock of GGG .233 once fired brass that I'm starting work on. They've been tumbled to clean them, decapped and sized, and I cleaned out all the primer pockets with the Lyman hand cleaner.

But now I'm putting primers in, I'm using Remington small rifle primers, and in some cases they go easily, yet other cases won't take the primer. But if I switch cases around I can sometimes find a different one that does fit.

Am I missing something?
may just need more swaying if you are stuck I use a reamer in a battery drill let me know u can meet you it won't take long to run through your stock
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

You'll need to do more than just clean the primer pockets... they original primers were probably crimped in, so you need to remove that crimp before primers will go in cleanly..

Various methods, easiest is a countersink bit in a drill, just enough to bevel the edge and take the crimp out.... or get Kenny to do it.. :D
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

As pointed out in previous posts GGG cases have crimped in primers you need to remove the crimp.
The Lord Flashheart
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Ham & Pea

#5 Post by The Lord Flashheart »

I have a spare primer pocket reamer (stop laughing in the cheap seats) that I am never going to use.

Pm your address and I'll pop it in the post for you.
shugie
Past Supporter

#6 Post by shugie »

The Lord Flashheart wrote:I have a spare primer pocket reamer (stop laughing in the cheap seats) that I am never going to use.

Pm your address and I'll pop it in the post for you.
That's very generous of you, but as I do already have one it would perhaps be unreasonable to accept.

Now I understand that the original primers were crimped, I think I know how to fix the problem.

But if I can't I'll get in contact with Kenny.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#7 Post by WelshShooter »

You can either use a primer pocket reamer, which is a device that trims the crimp away making a nice taper; or you can use a swaging die to create a bigger pocket. I have tried both methods and the swaging die is much quicker than the hand trimming method. I did this with RORG 5.56mm brass.
Biggles

#8 Post by Biggles »

I borrowed a mates Dillon super swager to do my GGG brass.
Just finished doing all 2153 cases the other night.
....yes I'm that nerdy I counted them.
I must say it made the job much easier.
shugie
Past Supporter

#9 Post by shugie »

Biggles wrote:I borrowed a mates Dillon super swager to do my GGG brass.
Just finished doing all 2153 cases the other night.
....yes I'm that nerdy I counted them.
I must say it made the job much easier.
That's a neat system, and not stupid money either, but I don't have enough cases to warrant buying it, nor the bench space for it.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

I bought a RCBS Bench Tool Swager for a load of GGG and American Eagle brass I had, works a treat. I tried a friends press die tool that RCBS do but I ended up bending the rod to buggery. On the plus side I contacted RCBS and they sent out two replacement rods FOI
DVC