Rotary Tumble cleaning stainless pins - solution

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
fra150l

Rotary Tumble cleaning stainless pins - solution

#1 Post by fra150l »

I have taken the plunge and bought a rotary tumbler - stainless pins, will be using for smokless and black powder cases.

Before I go an buy off the shelf solutions have been looking for some home made - which I prefer. Lots on the internet but most for US products. Have searched here and found:

half a teaspoon of cream of tartar
lemon dish washing liquid
dishwasher rinse aid
good squirt of lemon juice

or is there a really good off the shelf product I should get?

Interested in what others may be using especially in hard water area.

Thanks, Tim
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Rotary Tumble cleaning stainless pins - solution

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

I know Phaedra uses cheap washing up liquid with 1/2 teaspoonful of citric acid powder in when tumbling my brass for me.
He finishes rinsing with a small squirt of rinse aid
The brass comes out really shiney
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#3 Post by shoppe »

all you need is just washing up liquid, I use asda own make and it is perfect
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#4 Post by phaedra1106 »

As above, 2 squirts of Asda Lemon washing up liquid (90p 1L) and about 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon of citric acid crystals (cheap on eBay).

Don't use more citric acid than that, people say use more to brighten up the brass, all it's needed for is to soften the water which then allows the pins and detergent to do a better job.

After tumbling and getting the pins out rinse well, add a small amount of rinse aid to the final rinse to prevent water spots then dry, I use a Halogen oven, 80c for about 20min for a pizza tray full of cases.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

phaedra1106 wrote:.....
After tumbling and getting the pins out rinse well, add a small amount of rinse aid to the final rinse to prevent water spots then dry, I use a Halogen oven, 80c for about 20min for a pizza tray full of cases.
Slightly off topic, I assume rinse aid would also help after ultrasonic cleaning...?? I like the way U/S cleaning get my cases clean, but i do end up with tarnishing water spots on the cases, even after putting them in a 100 degree oven for 10-15 mins..
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#6 Post by phaedra1106 »

Indeed it should :)

Another tip, after rinsing (I use a 2L jug) shake the jug a few times and tip more water out, block the spout with your hand to stop the cases escaping!.

Do that a couple of times and you'll get most of the water out, after that I use a hand towel, put the cases in the middle, fold it over so they're like a stone in a sling and whip it round at speed, centrifugal force will get even more water out :)

p.s. just make sure there's no holes in the towel or you'll get cases escaping and flying out at great speed and killing anything walking past!! :good:
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#7 Post by Mattnall »

shoppe wrote:all you need is just washing up liquid, I use asda own make and it is perfect
As above, any washing up liquid will do.
Add half a teaspoon of citric acid to reduce the harness (and marks on drying) if needed.

And finally a good rinse out before popping in the oven at less than 210F until dry.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
rox

#8 Post by rox »

1 Tablespoon Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax.
1 Teaspoon Citric Acid powder.

Above quantities are for a Thumlers model B tumbler.

The wash & wax cleans well & prevents tarnish - I think it leaves a hard polymer thin-film coating; non-sticky, so it won't contaminate powder or stick kernels to the brass.
Citric acid helps to clean and I believe it also passivates brass, an additional surface protection.

I used to add rinse-aid to the final rinse to prevent water spotting, but now don't bother. I tumble them in a towel (holding each end, like polishing a bowling ball), which removes surface water, then leave in a warm place for an hour.

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

I use pine of the food dehydrater type brass dryers to finish dry mine.

Any tips on separating the pins? That's the most tedious part for me
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
rox

#10 Post by rox »

bradaz11 wrote:Any tips on separating the pins? That's the most tedious part for me

Not really. I sometimes use a media separator, and worry slightly that there may be a pin left clinging to the inside of a case, but mostly pluck them out of the final rinse bowl so they are fully immersed mouth down, between 2 & 4 at a time, with a flick and a shake to remove pins and excess water. Only takes a couple of minutes or so for 100 cases. If you find a better way let us know!