Primer Storage

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Laurie

Re: Primer Storage

#31 Post by Laurie »

Oddbod wrote:I'm pretty sure anyone who has loaded a large amount of ammunition will have had a primer seat sideways at some point & the more "adventurous" will have decapped a live case for one reason or another.
I've done both more than once over the years & never (yet...) had a primer detonate when doing so.
I think this demonstrates how intrinsically safe they are & they will very rarely detonate except in the approved manner & place.
Though I wouldn't want to set fire to a box of them...
In the first case (sideways) there is a high probability the pellet was crushed or cracked in the process which makes it useless (even if the cup weren't so mangled it can't be seated normally) and once that happens the primer will no longer detonate even when hit properly in a firearm.

In the second (decap live examples) you'll have done it VERY slowly and gently I'm sure. As I said in a previous post the pellet must be crushed rapidly between indented cup and anvil to ignite. A slow squeeze usually just breaks the pellet and ruins it. Also, despite the decap pin bearing on the concave side of the anvil, it doesn't appear to put excessive pressure onto the cup. (If so, it woukld damage it with the previously outlined results.) That is with ammunition where the primer isn't crimped into the pocket or isn't a really tight fit anyway - I would never attempt the first and would be unhappy about trying with the second.

Over the years, I have decapped literally hundreds of live primers. The LR types have all been recycled and give completely normal results in terms of reliability, MV and ES. SR primers though are usually ruined doing this - the anvil falls out of the cup having been damaged by the pressure.

Although some primers become unusable in these scenarios, they are still hazardous should they have heat applied so should be deactivated if possible before disposal.
Laurie

#32 Post by Laurie »

Oh .... and I should add, decapping live ones is still not a great idea. The loading manuals warn against doing it for a reason. Some people have managed to set one off doing this - too much pressure needed maybe, or they unwisely moved the press handle quickly.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#33 Post by Racalman »

Laurie wrote:However one thing that needs a visual check is to ensure none is seated upside down, ie cup inwards and anvil facing out.
I second that! Years ago, shortly after I had started reloading, I happened to invert a box of handloads and noticed that I had inserted several primers upside down (fortunately it was a transparent case). Now I always check my primed cases.
Primer

#34 Post by Primer »

The only observation that my FEO had when he viewed my reloading area in my garage was that
A, the front up and over door had additional locking points to the original single point, which it did.

B, the equipment and powders etc were not visible to public view if front door open which it wasn't as I boxed in the back of the shelves with cardboard so my reloading kit was not visible.

My primers were stored on a shelf the opposite side of my bench to powders.

The black powder storage guidelines changed in the 3 years since the previous visit as it was a case of storage in a an approved box, this time the box had to be chained to an imoveable object so someone couldn't just pick it up and run off with it, so the old rules of being able to remove it from the scene of a fire quickly have gone out the window.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#35 Post by FredB »

The black powder certificate is issued by the police acting as agents for the Health and Safety Executive . The storage rules have not changed, what has happened is that the police have taken it upon themselves to ask for the box to be secured. This means that the explosive is not stored according to the rules and would provide a get out for your insurance company in the event of a fire and the box being unable to be removed. Don't do it.
Fred
Primer

#36 Post by Primer »

FredB wrote:The black powder certificate is issued by the police acting as agents for the Health and Safety Executive . The storage rules have not changed, what has happened is that the police have taken it upon themselves to ask for the box to be secured. This means that the explosive is not stored according to the rules and would provide a get out for your insurance company in the event of a fire and the box being unable to be removed. Don't do it.
Fred
No win situation then as if you don't do what the explosives officer is asking he won't issue the certificate and if you decide to unlock it afterwards and either you get a spot visit or it gets stolen you are in trouble helpsign
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers