Advanced combat rifle and the colt duplex bullet

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

Advanced combat rifle and the colt duplex bullet

#1 Post by the running man »

I was looking randomly through you tube after watching one of the forgotten weapons videos from the chap looking like a pirate, and came accrosd the g11 the acr, and a few others and the colt duplex bullet, so i have since discovered that the duplex bullet increased hit capability by 60%which leads me to ask question 1,why was it not followed up..... And 2.with all those prototypes why did they stick with the m4? I mean why did they bother inviting tenders prototypes? Seems like a big waste of everyones time...
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Advanced combat rifle and the colt duplex bullet

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Not expalined in the videos?? He normally goes into quiet some detail including the background
DVC
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#3 Post by the running man »

Not really..... Only a bit on the duplex, but nothing about why all the fuss then not bothering....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

The short answer is probably its easier to upgrade an existing system the soldiers are already trained on and those sorts of trials don't cost the military anything, gun manufacturers are only too keen to get their gun adopted because of the size of the resulting order. A few thousand on a working prototype Vs multi-millions/potentially billions if they get chosen.
DVC
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#5 Post by poll007 »

I am guessing you watched the recent episode on the Steyr ACR, which uses fleccette ammo.

He (and Karl on his other channel-INRange) have looked at duplex and other similar ammo in other videos.

i feel with all of the percument programs the bottom line is always cost/value. so as good or interesting as some firearms are, its not worth the cost of refitting an army.

Duplex specifically has a few downsides (from what ive read-no 1st hand experience to draw from) most of which comes down to ballistics and terminal effect on target.

simply put, if you cram 2 (or more) bullets into one case you end up with either lower muzzle velocity or much lighter bullet weights, resulting in less energy transferred into the target.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#6 Post by DaveB »

As I recall, accuracy with the duplex loads was unsatisfactory - one projectile went more or less where ot was supposed to, but the other was somewhat unpredictable. No point in shooting two projectiles if only one hits the target - especially if that one is lighter and therefore possessing less energy that a 'normal' projectile.