Lead bullet reloads in 308 calibre

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
JohnE
Home club or Range: Sussex

Lead bullet reloads in 308 calibre

#1 Post by JohnE »

I shoot at a 100 yards range and we are restricted to using lead bullet reloads only and so I would be interested to know the preferred lead bullets and powder loads in 308 calibre used by other shooters seeking maximum accuracy. Thanks JohnE
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Lead bullet reloads in 308 calibre

#2 Post by dromia »

Depends on many things, what velocity/muzzle energy you are seeking and especially the outcome of your chamber/freebore/bore/groove cast/slug.

A look through past threads on here will give you a wealth of cast bullet information.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
andrew375

#3 Post by andrew375 »

Plenty of loading data and moulds out there. My most used moulds are the Lee 200 gr. and 150gr flat nose, both sized .310". The sizing barely touches the sides.

Currently my accuracy load in my AI Cooper Match is 22 gr. Lovex S040 with the 200 gr. bullet for just under 1 moa. Haven't chronoed it yet but I expect it to be around 1900 fps. I've fired this bullet at just over 2000 fps in another (.308) rifle and it is good for 500 yards.

I mainly use the 150 gr. in my K31 but has also performed well in .308. For long range 33 gr. of N140 is very accurate but for something a bit cheaper and quieter 11.5 gr. of SNIA GM3 gives sub moa accuracy at 1615 fps.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
The Lord Flashheart
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Ham & Pea

#4 Post by The Lord Flashheart »

JohnE wrote:I shoot at a 100 yards range and we are restricted to using lead bullet reloads only and so I would be interested to know the preferred lead bullets and powder loads in 308 calibre used by other shooters seeking maximum accuracy. Thanks JohnE

There are lots and lots of combinations that work but as a starting point for not much money, try this lee bullet:

https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c309-150-f.html

The flat nose works well on paper targets.

As for powder I have a stash of trailboss which is perfect for this sort of loading, in the alternative I would join Castboolits.com and ask/do a search there.

There is an amazing depth of knowledge on cast bullet shooting on that forum and the membership is very helpful.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... st-bullets

That guy is using a Vit powder, might be worth looking at European powders going forward.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#5 Post by Mike95 »

What are your ME/MV limits? I use 11 gns of shotgun powder.....Unique...PSb2...under 170 gn loverin bullet...max 2148 mv. Bullet gas checked...lubed....311 sized. Can you use plated bullets....?

Mike95
JohnE

#6 Post by JohnE »

Thanks to the few who have replied, we just have a sand backstop and are limited to using lead bullets only with a muzzle energy not exceeding 1495 ft lb and a muzzle velocity of 2150 fps and it does seem that shotgun powder is very popular. I have used early Lyman books for recommended loads but it seems likely that some of those powders will not be available for much longer and some of the powders in the recent Lyman books being unfamiliar to us in the UK. JohnE.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

My 600 yrd loads in 30 calibre guns go at around 1800-2000fps and I shoot them on a 100 yrd range with similar limits to the one you use.

My powders of choice are Vihtavuori N110 and N120 starting at around 19-20 gns respectively, however powder and load choice is all in vain 'till you have established from your gun what bullet/alloy combination will fit your particular rifle failure to do so usually ends in frustration and disappointment when it comes to cast bullet accuracy, also you need to ensure that you have a soft and malleable alloy, hard, antimony bearing alloys lead like buggery lest you have 100%+ perfect fit.

Generally speaking with cast you will also need a heavier bullet for the calibre to help build the start pressure, 175 gn would be the minimum for me with a 308. My Ishapore 2A likes the SAECO 315 175 gn pb bullet, which is an excellent starting point for the 308 and most 30 Calibre rounds, NOE do a first class rendition of this mould.

My alloy, around 12-14 BHN doesn't need gas checks (which anyway don't directly check any gas).

Recommended lube White Label 2500+.

Bullet fit is king!

I suggest that you read Ed Harris's article on Cast Bullets in Military rifles which is lodged in the library here.

Read in conjunction with a good burning rate chart which will give you a feel for the equivalent Vihtavuori powders which are already REACH compliant with good availability and supply in the UK.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

JohnE

#8 Post by JohnE »

Thanks to all for their thoughts I bought a Tikka CTR rifle and would like to think that a new barrel should be on size, things came together after a few shoots, the Lee cast bullets and Red Dot, I have not tried it without gas checks yet. I did find recommended length for a 308 cartridge would not feed and continue to experiment so am always interested to know what powders and loads work for others.
JohnE
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#9 Post by kennyc »

JohnE wrote:Thanks to all for their thoughts I bought a Tikka CTR rifle and would like to think that a new barrel should be on size, things came together after a few shoots, the Lee cast bullets and Red Dot, I have not tried it without gas checks yet. I did find recommended length for a 308 cartridge would not feed and continue to experiment so am always interested to know what powders and loads work for others.
JohnE
if you compare the cast bullet with a jacketed spitzer you will see the ogive is different, this will require you to set the bullet back more to allow chambering.
dromia
Site Admin

#10 Post by dromia »

So what is the freebore/groove/bore specification on a new Tikka CTR?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!