Reloading .357 with Vihtavuori N110

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
KidsClays&Cartridges
Home club or Range: Bolton & NRP, Diggle Ranges

Reloading .357 with Vihtavuori N110

#1 Post by KidsClays&Cartridges »

Hi all, some advice and guidance for a total novice reloader please.

I plan to reload for my Marlin 1894C in .357. I have asked around my club and several people have said they use N110 and recommend it with 158g lead bullets. Perhaps a little naively I went out yesterday and bought a load of reloading kit including N110, 158g lead bullets (RNFP) and a reloading manual. I've also looked around the internet a lot over the last few months in preparation to start reloading. I'm trying to be as cautious and prepared as I can be in order to avoid any accidents.

I think I want to develop 2 loads: 1 for plinking and general practice at my club on an indoor 25 metre range and one for target shooting events up to 100 yards outdoors.

The questions I have are as follows:

Is developing two loads really necessary or just complicating things?

Load data for N110 with a 158g lead bullet is sparse so I'm struggling to find a safe start point for either load. There's none in my Lee reloading manual, just one for a 158g jacketed bullet and the Vihtavuori website only has two loads, one for an XTP and one for a Speer Hollow Point, it doesnt state if this is jacketed, etc. Both of these have 15.1g as a starting load with 15.9g being the max. There is also a load using a 160g lead bullet in the Lee manual and this goes from 14.2g to 15g. Would it be safe to start with the 160g lead bullet load for a 158g lead bullet? Would it be safe to try the 158g jacketed load from the Lee manual? Most of the loads for N110 in my Lee manual seem to be with the lighter lead bullets, but the weight of powder is higher so I'm well and truley confused.

Lastly, any tips on how to load develop in general would be appreciated. Things like how much to vary the powder charge between batches, etc.

Thanks for your time and input in advance.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Re: Reloading .357 with Vihtavuori N110

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

I'd say it's the wrong powder for 25m loads, Vihts own data puts the min load (with 15.1gr) at 1480fps, that's a muzzle energy of 768ft/lb, our 25m range has a limit of 475ft/lb.

If using Viht in 357 cases I would look at N330 or N340, for 38 Special cases N32C or 3N37

Use the powder manufacturers data, it's usually more up to date than manuals written months or even years ago that haven't been updated.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-da ... rtridge=36
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

As Jeff said, N110 would be useful for high velocity long range ammunition but wasted at the shorter distances.

Ditch the Lee book it is not a proper handloading book. Lee never pressure test their loads they just copy from original sources including their errors and then add a few of their own, also they tend to use loads on the conservative side to fit their loading by volume "system" and their whacky pressure to alloy theory, which isn't theirs but from a different source whose errors they have again followed.

Powder manufacturers data is the best source followed by pressure tested loads like you will find in the Lyman manual.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#4 Post by sclg »

As others have said, N110 is a more unusual choice for 25yds.
I use 8 gr of Accuracy#2 (Now Lovex D032) with a 158gr RNFP bullet in my Henry .357 and that will put them all through he same hole if you benchrest it.
(... but sadly not when I'm holding it!)
Primer

#5 Post by Primer »

I use N320 for 38sp using 158gr lead bullets and bullseye for .357 fmj.

I was also told to keep lead bullets below 1000fps by our range owner unless using gas checks due to leading the barrel.

I thought n110 was for rifle loads not pistol loads? Sure I have some for my 6.5x55.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Primer wrote:
I was also told to keep lead bullets below 1000fps by our range owner unless using gas checks due to leading the barrel.

????????

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
hoppo
Home club or Range: Aldershot and Bisley

#7 Post by hoppo »

With my 1894 357, I have found a 140g Truncated Cone lead bullet with 3.8g N320 works best for me at 25yds
Alan
Laurie

#8 Post by Laurie »

Primer wrote:I thought n110 was for rifle loads not pistol loads? Sure I have some for my 6.5x55.
I hope that's for gas-checked lead bullets, not jacketed examples in the 6.5X55mm.

N110 is one of the 'cross-over' powders whose applications cover both magnum revolver loads and the smallest cased proper rifle cartridges - 357, 44 Magnum and suchlike, also .22 Hornet, 218 Bee, .30 US Carbine in rifle numbers.

Other examples in this class are the original one, Hercules (now Alliant) 2400, Ramshot Enforcer, Hodgdon H110. 2400 was originally produced in the 1930s specifically for the prototype .22 Hornet but picked up very quickly by Elmer Keith as the ultimate powder for his super-hot .38 Special loads that were in turn developed by Winchester into the 357 Magnum. Some manufacturers describe them as 'magnum revolver' powders, others including Vihtavuori apparently put them into a rifle classification this company allocating it an N100 series designation rather than its pistol / revolver N300. Given the USA dwarfing all other markets combined for firerarms ownership, use and handloaders and given the numbers of US magnum revolver and levergun owners who like hot true magnum loads far outnumbering the .22 Hornet et al users, I'd think it a safe assumption that far more pounds of these powders are burned in revolver cartridges than in true rifle numbers.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#9 Post by mag41uk »

Who ever told you this needs to check their facts/data.
N110 can be used in 357 BUT NOT pertinent for 25/50yd target shooting.
It would normally be used top end velocity full on 357mag loads.
Having checked Vihts own data on their website gives 1500fps with a lead 160gn bullet as a STARTING load.
This is a powder that you don't want to mess around with trying to load it any lower than Viht data.
You need to find a powder which is a fast pistol/shotgun powder for making a pleasant close range paper punching load.
N310 or N320 or Vecatan AS or Ba10 or Ramshot zip etc etc.
And I wouldn't be using it in 6.5 Swedish.
KidsClays&Cartridges
Home club or Range: Bolton & NRP, Diggle Ranges

#10 Post by KidsClays&Cartridges »

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. Looks like I'll take the N110 back and get something more suitable for the calibre. I did look at the powder before buying and it didnt really seem right but I trusted the advice of guys who are experienced and have guided me through my start in shooting.