Sizing tolerances.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
ruger_steve
Home club or Range: Bisley

Sizing tolerances.

#1 Post by ruger_steve »

I have just bought a 308 RPR rifle and A reloading kit made by Lyman.

I have been looking in the Lymans 49th edition and it’s labelling the .308 as something like 2.015 long without the head, but my once fired brass, after resizing is showing as 2.008.

I just wanted to know what the tolerances are in relation to these books and the brass?

Sent from my boing using "An application"
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Sizing tolerances.

#2 Post by dromia »

Why would you remove the base of the cartridge?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

Hello Steve - and welcome to the forum..

2.015 is the maximum length, at 2.008" you will be fine. I would reload and shoot them all again, they may grow a couple of thou, then trim the whole batch to the shortest one to get them all equal.

OAL, although listed as 2.8 (case and seated bullet) tends to be a bit fluid.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
ruger_steve

#4 Post by ruger_steve »

Excellent thank you. I was a little worried as I read somewhere (still new to this. Very new) that rounds can be slightly longer, but never shorter. However this was talking about how much the head was inserted into the cartridge because of the amount of extra pressure

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

ruger_steve wrote:However this was talking about how much the head was inserted into the cartridge because of the amount of extra pressure

??????????

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

what I think when I hear bullets being called heads
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
ruger_steve

#7 Post by ruger_steve »

bradaz11 wrote:what I think when I hear bullets being called heads
Lol. What else would you call them? I say the whole thing is a cartridge. Separately is casing and bullet head.

ruger_steve

#8 Post by ruger_steve »

dromia wrote:
ruger_steve wrote:However this was talking about how much the head was inserted into the cartridge because of the amount of extra pressure

??????????
Talking about reloading. The further you insert the bullet head the less room between the powder and the head meaning higher pressure when ignited. The more room the less pressure.

dromia
Site Admin

#9 Post by dromia »

The head is the bottom of the case, the bullet is the bullet. Which part of the bullet is the bullet head?

If you are serious about reloading and wish to be a responsible and safe handloader then it is incumbent upon you to learn the correct nomenclature to avoid confusion, mistakes and potentially dangerous situations.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

ruger_steve

Sizing tolerances.

#10 Post by ruger_steve »

Are you serious? Everything I have read has referred to the projectile as the head or bullet head including the RFD’s selling then. I don’t think anyone (barring you) would not know that I was referring to the little bit that comes out of the tube part of the gun and whizzes through the air. I understand the need to be precise with this but come on, that is splitting hits a little isn’t it?

If I called a shop and asked to buy some bullet heads, what do you think they’d send me?

As I say, nothing I have read has referred to the ‘head’ as the cartridge or bottom so you must forgive me for not communicated that way.