9mm availability after SGC lever-release rifles are banned?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

Re: 9mm availability after SGC lever-release rifles are bann

#11 Post by Sixshot6 »

Blackstuff wrote:Why someone doesn't bring out a straight-pull MP5 clone i don't know, i think they'd sell like hot cakes!
I did hear a technical reason about ease of conversion of something, plus I just remembered chiappa Rhino's are gonna come in 9mm plus there is a always some other stuff floating around like 9mm armalons and way before 9mm lever releases appeared so its possible 9mm straight pulls, lever actions (some odd marlin conversions exist including on in 357 sig that have been imported in small numbers, south yorkshire shooting supplies had a 45 acp one). So lots of possibilities
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

Blackstuff wrote:Why someone doesn't bring out a straight-pull MP5 clone i don't know, i think they'd sell like hot cakes!

There were some about 15 years ago and some HK SL8s. Fell foul of s7 Amendment Act 1988.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

Sixshot6 wrote: I did hear a technical reason about ease of conversion of something, plus I just remembered chiappa Rhino's are gonna come in 9mm plus there is a always some other stuff floating around like 9mm armalons and way before 9mm lever releases appeared so its possible 9mm straight pulls, lever actions (some odd marlin conversions exist including on in 357 sig that have been imported in small numbers, south yorkshire shooting supplies had a 45 acp one). So lots of possibilities
The lever guns were made by Ranger Point Precision. They were the thick end of £2.5K. My mate has a Ranger Point 9mm at the proof house now. It’s a lot more money that what the .45s were, but then it’s a full house custom gun...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sixshot6

#14 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote: I did hear a technical reason about ease of conversion of something, plus I just remembered chiappa Rhino's are gonna come in 9mm plus there is a always some other stuff floating around like 9mm armalons and way before 9mm lever releases appeared so its possible 9mm straight pulls, lever actions (some odd marlin conversions exist including on in 357 sig that have been imported in small numbers, south yorkshire shooting supplies had a 45 acp one). So lots of possibilities
The lever guns were made by Ranger Point Precision. They were the thick end of £2.5K. My mate has a Ranger Point 9mm at the proof house now. It’s a lot more money that what the .45s were, but then it’s a full house custom gun...
Oh I see, I might know of something else that would come as the builder in question is sorting out stuff to export here so it will be a while, don't know when but he's got his own customers in his home state to deal with first, then onto this and some other stuff. Guy even let me know he intended to do stuff. I don't wanna get people's hopes up so I'll not say anymore until something concrete happens.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

Ranger Point allegedly won’t be building anymore 9mm. Wasn’t the easiest of builds.

Sixshot6

#16 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:Ranger Point allegedly won’t be building anymore 9mm. Wasn’t the easiest of builds.
This is a different guy I know and he has a different idea also I know the dealer who you are talking about with the SL8s..... Gareth Murfin formely of Cotswold's arms, seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#17 Post by HH1 »

I was looking at a 9mm Armalon on Saturday at my favourite RFD as a possible way to carry on with 9mm. Browsing their website I spotted the Chiappa Rhinos LBR and being a fan of this revolver I just knew I had to have one. I seriously considered the 9mm version but decided that having to rely on Moon-clips might be a pain.... so I opted for the .357 Mag version. I already have a Marlin 1894 in calibre and reload for it. Variation sent off Monday morning... lets see how long it takes.
Hunter87

#18 Post by Hunter87 »

HH1 wrote:I am particularly fond of the 9mm pistol cartridge. Assuming the worst and that the government do ban our SGC Lever-release rifles, I'm wondering what the availability of 9mm factory ammunition & reloading components will be in years to come?

There are a couple of options for 9mm chambered guns that will be legal for the foreseeable future.... but if 9mm ammunition stock drys up due to no further demand from SGC 9mm owners, then potentially I could end up with a gun that is hard to find ammunition for, well at least in decent quantities.

I also have .357 ..... so it might make more sense to go for another gun in that popular calibre.

What do you guys think?
Well a lot of pistol shooters in N.Irelnd still use 9mm so I don’t see this being an issue
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

Hunter87 wrote:
Well a lot of pistol shooters in N.Irelnd still use 9mm so I don’t see this being an issue
9mm wasn't anywhere near as commonplace before the SGC rifles came out, at least in any of the places near me
DVC