Recommend me a lead melting pot.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Dahonis

Re: Recommend me a lead melting pot.

#11 Post by Dahonis »

TomH wrote:Thanks all for your responses, especially Dromia for taking the time to type such a comprehensive post. I can see the merit now in a gas ring and a couple of pots. It certainly is the lowest cost alternative I would think and I've never been a fan of running out and buying a load of equipment before I have some experience.

One question that does spring to mind, is how do you judge temperature?
You can buy a lead thermometer, a bit like the ones you use for meat.....or you can get a digital one.

For my casting I just use the manual one, not as accurate as the digital or PID, but I just plink and it works for me.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

Throw in a bit of match stick without the head, if it just smoulders to cool, if it ignites immediately too hot, if it smoulders some and then ignites temperature is good to go. Served me well for a couple of decades and 100s of 1000s of pistol bullets.

The lead thermometers are good Lyman and RCBS are available here, digital thermometers and PIDs are not necessarily more accurate, PIDs just means that you don't need to keep the temperature right manually.

If I could have only one thermometer then it would be my mould thermometer, mould temperature is more critical than alloy temperature and it is a lot easier to keep your alloy at a good casting temperature than it is to keep your mould at its best temperature.

Of course both are better, just trying to illustrate there is more to successful casting than just melting lead, I only started using a mould thermometer about 15 years ago and it was the single biggest step change in making high quality bullets than all my other gegaw "upgrades". Rowel ladles were another significant step change that made dipping as viable as pouring for volume casting.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

As Fred has said electric heat sources work too and he has success that way, I prefer the gas as I find it easier to control, also my ex military cooking gas ring (£25 unused from a surplus shop) gets hot enough for my alloy preparation which I usually do in around one cwt batches. Domestic electric heat sources would struggle to melt that much lead in a timely manner.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/