6.5-284 reloading problems

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

6.5-284 reloading problems

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I took the 6.5-284 out to zero yesterday.

The load was 123 grain Amax loaded to 79.75mm which is shorter than the recommended OAL however to build to full length would have left me with around 1,0mm to seat the bullet with. It is a long way off the lands at this point regardless. I opted for CCI LR primers as it was only for zeroing as opposed to load development and the brass is Lapua on its third firing.

Powder load was 50 grains of N160 from a sealed tub which should have been way below anything untoward according to my research.

First shot was smack on the vertical and 50,0mm low so I was happy (Apel rings with zero screws) However I noticed the primer was a bit flatter than I had expected but not showing any sign of cratering and bolt lift was fine. Second shot spat a primer out, third shot spat a primer out and bolt lift was heavy, probably to the loss of primer and a I called it a day.

So back home and check everything and I am at a loss to see where I could be going wrong, I even came back and measure the bullet diameters and lengths and everything is as it should be. H2O Case capacity is where it should be and the head space is perfect. This morning I will clean the barrel again and stick a bore scope up it however it has had less than 300 reasonable rounds through it and was OK when I checked it last. Looking at my reloading notes the barrel and rifle has always run fast and according loads have always been kept at sensible levels

Next step was to to shoot some ELD-X over H4895SC.

So what went wrong? I had not even got as far as setting the chronograph up before proper load development so no idea of velocities.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kevinww

Re: 6.5-284 reloading problems

#2 Post by kevinww »

Just having a look at Vit data for Scenar 123 it lists max N160 as 50.8gn powder and start load of 40gn, so 123 AMax I would think would be similar, so think you are pushing it a bit hard.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

kevinww wrote:Just having a look at Vit data for Scenar 123 it lists max N160 as 50.8gn powder and start load of 40gn, so 123 AMax I would think would be similar, so think you are pushing it a bit hard.
Yep just looked at the app, 50gns is top end but they are normally conservative.

The only other thing could be the powder, I know it's unlikely but is there a cock up at Vit with mis labelled tubs???
Alan
Attachments
Screenshot_20180926-083716_Vihtavuori Reload.jpg
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

Maybe the primer pockets are loose. I know Lapua brass is good quality and only on third firing but primers don't usually fall out unless loose.

What about the firing pin and firing pin hole? Are they damaged in any way? Is there a lot of play between firing pin diameter and firing pin hole?
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have pulled the bullets now, and will drop the load by 2.5 grains which is 5% and see how that goes. If all else fails I will have to stick with the limited new brass I have.

The firing pin and bolt face are OK.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

WelshShooter wrote:Maybe the primer pockets are loose. I know Lapua brass is good quality and only on third firing but primers don't usually fall out unless loose.

This.

Look at the brass. If it’s chucking the primers out there’s an issue.

And I’d be starting lower powder wise. I’d drop 5 grains from your starting point, not 2.5.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I agree dropping a full 10% would be a wiser move.

I am already at the 'I might as well stuff the spare 6,5x47 barrel on it' stage and realistically I am only trying this because it seemed like a good idea at the time.
/d

Shed Journal