Salt Bath Annealing?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
shotgun sam

Re: Salt Bath Annealing?

#21 Post by shotgun sam »

ukrifleman wrote:
dromia wrote:£1300 sounds complicated to me.
Me too!

I made my annealer using a microwave turntable motor sourced from China, which rotates at 5 RPM and cost the princely sum of £1-78 including shipping! plus a hobby gas torch from B&Q.

The rest was odds and sods found lying around my garage and shed.

The drum is the bottom of an old 6" paint tin with 2 slots cut in it, to give each case a 6 second exposure to the gas flame.

A feed ramp holds the case in position to allow it to drop through a slot into the drum and begin the annealing process.

The cases slowly rotate as they are annealed, which gives them a consistent all round heat before they drop into a collecting bin to air cool.

Simples!

ukrifleman

Looks like I might have a project between Christmas and New Year.

Sam
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Salt Bath Annealing?

#22 Post by Ovenpaa »

rox wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:Rox, have you determined a budget build cost for your GinaEric yet?
Only a guess, but under £300. That excludes the case collator/feeder, but is an upgraded 1800W versus 1000W with a monster rectifier, all derated to keep component heat under control, with microprocessor monitoring and control.
Some pictures of your build along the way would be good, I am in the process of building a heat treatment oven that is running at about the same cost however the costly parts have been the mechanical parts such as insulating bricks and building the enclosure.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal