Salt Bath Annealing?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Dahonis

Salt Bath Annealing?

#1 Post by Dahonis »

Hi,

I have just read a few articles on the above, one article by The Gun Pimp I think goodjob

Has anyone else tried it?

Regards

Chris
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Salt Bath Annealing?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I read the article myself quite recently and found it intriguing so I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has tried it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#3 Post by jmc67 »

I've not tried it, but apparently it is used quite widely in industry for annealing.

While I'm not normally one for banging on about caution when trying something, as a chemist please make sure anyone thinking about this is aware of the hazards involved with it. As a technique it is certainly not without its risks. A molten salt bath contains a vast amount of stored up energy. Any water, oils, anything flammable etc gets into this and there is an explosion risk. Heat it up too high and the salts can break down and release some pretty nasty gases.

This is a link to a paper from 1982, about a lab in the US which was destroyed when one of these went wrong (granted a bigger one that most would use at home, but not a particularly high temperature);

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cen-v060n041.p029

And a quote of the main points; "A University of California, Berkeley, lab has been rebuilt and is ready for use again after being demolished in late July by the explosion of a molten salt bath. Berkeley chemistry and chemical engineering faculty members are concerned that many researchers are unaware of the potential dangers of these commonly used heat-transfer media.

The explosion involved a glass polymer-synthesis apparatus immersed in a fused salt bath containing 3 lb of sodium nitrite and 1 lb of potassium thiocyanate. The bath had been heated above 270 °C using a hot plate. The experiment was being conducted in a closed fume hood.

The explosion, which Berkeley faculty members estimate had the force of about 1 lb of dynamite, caused more than $200,000 damage to the new lab. The doors of the fume hood were imbedded in a wall 20 feet from the point of explosion and the interior walls of the lab were bulged outward. "
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

I played with it years ago when I was experimenting with molten lead annealing as well.

Besides the hazzards warning above, especially the one about it not getting over temperature a real risk in cheap non thermostatically/PID controlled pots like the Lee, I found the dipping process awkward to control for sufficient consistency. I am sure knacky people could rig up jigs and the like but that was just extra chew on for me. I find that a blow torch and a turntable to work just fine for me, simple and repeatable without the added hassle of watching pot temperature as well.

Also be aware that from my experience these salts are corrosive and hard on the pots and iron things around them.

Be worth looking at shipping as well, I got mine form a hot bluing materials supplier and I believe the bluing salts at least are expensive to send nowadays.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

One or two Diggle members are now using salt bath annealing so I asked one of them to write up the process for Target Shooter.

It is certainly a bit cheaper to get set-up compared to the carousel/blow-torch type. As quite a few shooters already have melting pots for lead casting, it makes it even cheaper.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#6 Post by phaedra1106 »

I have all the bits to do it, got a plate made to fit the small Lee pot etc.

I tried it once but the nasty high temperatures put me off!!!, I'll stick to my rotary annealer I got from Lubo on TSD :)
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Dahonis

#7 Post by Dahonis »

I have a PID and an old Lee Pot to use as a vestibule. Its the high temperature and the risk of an explosion puts me off :run:
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#8 Post by FredB »

I use a blow torch and a four inch nail in the chuck of a rechargeable drill. Some people, especially in the shooting game will do anything to make life more complicated.
Fred
The Gun Pimp

#9 Post by The Gun Pimp »

I call a blow-torch and a four inch nail in a drill complicated - can't get simpler than an AMP annealer.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

£1300 sounds complicated to me.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/