H&N plated bullets

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

H&N plated bullets

#1 Post by mag41uk »

I got a few thousand 140gn 6.5 bullets I plan on using in my 260 T3 on an ETR range out to 400yds.

Doesn't seem to be any info about max mv for these.
I would take a guess at 2000fps.
Any one got any better info/suggestions?
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: H&N plated bullets

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

Get in touch with them via email. I asked them some questions about the 30 cal bullet for my M1 carbine and they got back to me the next day. I got about 1,850fps out of my carbine and saw no issues like bullet keyholing the target, bullets disintegrating while flying down the range, excessive fouling in the bore etc.

It's worth noting that all the load data on the H&N sport website provided for the 6.5mm 140gr bullet in question shows 6,5x55 as using faster burning powders compared to normal loadings. I'm sure the bullets are designed for low velocity shooting and I'm sure that H&N will tell you this answer.
mag41uk

#3 Post by mag41uk »

WelshShooter wrote:Get in touch with them via email. I asked them some questions about the 30 cal bullet for my M1 carbine and they got back to me the next day. I got about 1,850fps out of my carbine and saw no issues like bullet keyholing the target, bullets disintegrating while flying down the range, excessive fouling in the bore etc.

It's worth noting that all the load data on the H&N sport website provided for the 6.5mm 140gr bullet in question shows 6,5x55 as using faster burning powders compared to normal loadings. I'm sure the bullets are designed for low velocity shooting and I'm sure that H&N will tell you this answer.
Thanks for that.
I saw the data for the swede which did look low power and plinky!
I will email them and see what they say.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#4 Post by Mike95 »

I have never shot any of the h and n past 100yds..not to say they will not perform past 100 yds...b/c very poor on most of the h and n.
The 45 gn are dire in .222 or .223...reasonable in .22 Hornet. The 165gn .30 cal and 110gn shoot well out to 100yds. Not tried the 6.5mm...would not expect much at 400yds...but.. give it a go..

Mike95
Chapuis

#5 Post by Chapuis »

mag41uk wrote:I got a few thousand 140gn 6.5 bullets I plan on using in my 260 T3 on an ETR range out to 400yds.

Aren't you asking a bit much of these bullets (out to 400 yards) ?

I thought that these bullets were really intended for short range and medium velocity indoor use.
I bought several hundred copper plated bullet from Germany some years ago. They were not H&N but another make and were in 8mm and 9.3mm. I found they deeply disappointing in all respects and I still have several boxes of them in my reloading cupboard that I am unlikely to ever use again.
mag41uk

#6 Post by mag41uk »

Chapuis wrote:
mag41uk wrote:I got a few thousand 140gn 6.5 bullets I plan on using in my 260 T3 on an ETR range out to 400yds.

Aren't you asking a bit much of these bullets (out to 400 yards) ?

I thought that these bullets were really intended for short range and medium velocity indoor use.
I bought several hundred copper plated bullet from Germany some years ago. They were not H&N but another make and were in 8mm and 9.3mm. I found they deeply disappointing in all respects and I still have several boxes of them in my reloading cupboard that I am unlikely to ever use again.
I don't see any reason why they wouldnt hit a fig 11 at 400yds.
If they will do 1200fps it wont be a problem.
Will find out later in the month.