Neck tension for .308Win (again ...)

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

Neck tension for .308Win (again ...)

#1 Post by Racalman »

I hope you all had a good Christmas holiday.

Santa turned up on time with a concentricity gauge, expander die and PGS mandrels for me :good:

The concentricity of my existing handloads, made using the despised expander ball, varied between 1 and 3 thou (measured on the bullet).

Removing the ball and using the expander mandrels gave a steady 2 thou on each round, so that's a step in the right direction.

I seated bullets with three mandrel sizes: .306, .307 and .308. I measured the COL then applied 1kg to the tip of each bullet using a spring tension gauge. The COL didn't alter at all on any of the rounds.

Bearing mind that these rounds will be magazine fed, I'm planning to play safe and go with the .307 thou mandrel.

Any thoughts from the experts?
The Gun Pimp

Re: Neck tension for .308Win (again ...)

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Don't over think it. If you are looking for accuracy, never feed from a mag. Why? Because you are slamming the most delicate bit of the bullet (the meplat) against the rifle's feed-ramp. This can damage the meplat and misalign the bullet. Not good.

OK - forum keyboard jockeys will come on here telling you they get stunning accuracy loading from a mag. Fine - I've seen it as well but why go to all that trouble messing with neck-tension etc then risk ruining it?

Very few comps requiring ultimate accuracy require you to load from a mag. Even for McQueen, there's plenty of time to single-load.
Racalman

#3 Post by Racalman »

I understand what you're saying, but this is for snap shooting where there isn't time to load single rounds (well I could get a buddy to do it for me but not on a regular basis).
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

What you've done is created consistency and have found that mandrel size has no significant effect on concentricity. You've now created more uniform neck tension without over working the brass, and if that doesn't give you more accurate handloads, then it should at least give you longer case life by working the case necks less.
Racalman

#5 Post by Racalman »

WelshShooter wrote:What you've done is created consistency and have found that mandrel size has no significant effect on concentricity. You've now created more uniform neck tension without over working the brass, and if that doesn't give you more accurate handloads, then it should at least give you longer case life by working the case necks less.
Thank you. I will certainly be testing these rounds to see if my groups improve (I last measured 0.7MOA at 1,000 yards - magazine fed :good: ).

I'm glad to be rid of the expander ball, especially as I can see the rod is not straight as I rotate the die.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

If you are re loading to fit your magazine you are not going to get any benefit. Or very little.
Racalman

#7 Post by Racalman »

Alpha1 wrote:If you are re loading to fit your magazine you are not going to get any benefit. Or very little.
You may well be right but as I am shooting at 1,000 yards against guys with 6.5mm rigs I need to get the best out of my ammunition. I posted top score in the last two outings but I need to do better.

Anyway, the question was about neck tension ...
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes I know it is about neck tension. I have not used an expander ball in a long time all my fullbore reloading is done with L.E.Wilson bushing dies. Micrometer seating dies L.E.Wilson seating dies Body Dies and competition shell holders. I reload for two to 6.5 rifles one of them will not feed factory ammo from the magazine. So I reload to chamber dimensions and single load. The other one will feed anything. I make my own mandrels/expanders and have made one or two L.E.Wilson type neck and seating dies for my own use. Good luck with the neck tension thing sounds like you are doing Ok any way.
The Gun Pimp

#9 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Racalman wrote:I understand what you're saying, but this is for snap shooting where there isn't time to load single rounds (well I could get a buddy to do it for me but not on a regular basis).
It's 'horses for courses' - snap shooting won't demand the same level of accuracy as say benchrest. Rapid target-acquisition and trigger-release will probably out-weigh the 'nth' degree of ammo accuracy. Having said that, loading accurate ammo requires more or less the same process as any other ammo reloading so you might as well do it.
Racalman

#10 Post by Racalman »

The Gun Pimp wrote:It's 'horses for courses' - snap shooting won't demand the same level of accuracy as say benchrest. Rapid target-acquisition and trigger-release will probably out-weigh the 'nth' degree of ammo accuracy.
Yes, and wind reading skills. As for accuracy though, the A ring on a Fig. 11 is only 3 inches across and putting four shots into that off a bipod in 20 seconds at 1,000 yards is no picnic ...