Depriming with Lee hand press extremely difficult

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

Depriming with Lee hand press extremely difficult

#1 Post by J4mes »

Hi,

I've just had my Lee hand press set delivered and started trying to deprime my .223 brass using the Lee.223 kit.

It seems extremely difficult, I literally have to lean on the press to get them out and then use all my strength to pull the handles apart.

What on earth am I doing wrong? I've set the die as per the instructions, and on YouTube people are popping the primers out with no effort at all.

helpsign thankssign
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Depriming with Lee hand press extremely difficult

#2 Post by Daryll »

Are you using once fired military brass?? or GGG brass..??

Their primers are crimped in, so will need a bit more force to remove them.... its even noticeable on a bench mounted press.

Once you've removed the primer you'll need to grind off the crimp, either with a special tool, or even a normal countersink bit before you can re-prime them... but the primers will come out easier next time!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Are the primers crimped?

Are you resizing at the same time?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
J4mes

#4 Post by J4mes »

Its once fired PPU brass bought on here.

How would I tell if the primers are crimped?

Not resizing at the same time, just poking the primers out.

I've fiddled with the die position and it's a bit easier now but still involving a fair effort.

I'm currently off work with a broken leg so was hoping this would be an easy way to pass the time!
J4mes

#5 Post by J4mes »

Daryll wrote:
Once you've removed the primer you'll need to grind off the crimp, either with a special tool, or even a normal countersink bit before you can re-prime them... but the primers will come out easier next time!

Really?! I've watched about 20 videos and never seen this covered:(
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

Yes, IF the primers are crimped in... and i don't think PPU normally are.... you'll normally see a raised circle around the primer where the crimp is, often with red paint around it.

There are 2 ways to remove crimps, either swaging, which needs special swaging dies, or grinding them off with a decrimping tool, or a countersinking bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utuofxj2f1g
J4mes

#7 Post by J4mes »

Ok thanks, judging by the video this brass has not been crimped.

Thanks for explaining that to me, I've no doubt it will help in the future thankssign
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#8 Post by kennyc »

I've used my hand press for depriming and sizing up to 7.5x55 and thats considerably larger than .223!
with .223 you will still have to have enough upper body strength to close the press, but setting the die up to the makers instructions and using a decent lube such as Imperial wax works wonders, if you do use Wax my prefered method is to take a ziploc bag smear a small amount of wax onto the sides and put as many cases as you have in (or can fit) then just spend a couple of minutes fondling the bag (very calming and therapeutic shakeshout ) when the cases come out they will be evenly covered in waxy goodness, if they aren't then repeat with a little more wax you will soon learn how much to use :good:
the .223 should be an ideal round to use a hand press with.
DOGGER2UK
Site Supporter Since 2019

#9 Post by DOGGER2UK »

Have you checked the size of the depriming pin?
It ain't me.
J4mes

#10 Post by J4mes »

KennyC - thanks for the info goodjob

Dogger, the depriming pin is just the one which is attached to the Lee .223 sizing/ depriming die as part of the 3 item set - it should be the right size already I'd hope?

Thanks again