which 223 brass

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Cookisan
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Diggle and MSR&PC

Re: which 223 brass

#11 Post by Cookisan »

I've played with Federal, PPU, Lake City, RORG 88 and Lapua. All seem to have given good results, I tend to use Lapua for the greater distances and competitions.

Always been a bit OCD about case preparation and tend to do everything whether it's miitary surplus on expensive brass.

On the whole, the more obvious benefits I've seen have been down to the bullet - powder combination.
jack Mack

#12 Post by jack Mack »

20series wrote:Peeps

Looking to replace some many many times shot HPS-TR stamped 223 cases, looking for recommendations for new brass.

Obviously Lapua is the go to but wondered if anyone was using anything else.

Cheer
Alan
I would stick with Lapua if you can get them and indeed afford them. Ive shot out to 900 yards with 223 loads in lapua cases with great results. I was amazed how accurate they were. More to do with the standard of the ammunition than the nut on the butt.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#13 Post by Mattnall »

For my usual match ammo (out to 600yds) I use Winchester barss and have 13 loadings (14 firings) out of this latest batch and just started to see just under 1% instance of split necks. I trim and fl size every time as they can go in different rifles, and I'm using a modest loading.
For long range (up to 1000yds) I use Lake City brass and the 80-90gn bullets. For surplus brass the LC cases give good capacity and are very consistent in volume and weight.

I found with Lapua and Federal I was forever trimming, the brass seemed too soft.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
WelshShooter

#14 Post by WelshShooter »

Mattnall wrote:For my usual match ammo (out to 600yds) I use Winchester barss and have 13 loadings (14 firings) out of this latest batch and just started to see just under 1% instance of split necks. I trim and fl size every time as they can go in different rifles, and I'm using a modest loading.
For long range (up to 1000yds) I use Lake City brass and the 80-90gn bullets. For surplus brass the LC cases give good capacity and are very consistent in volume and weight.

I found with Lapua and Federal I was forever trimming, the brass seemed too soft.
Do you have a case shoulder bump measurement tool? I would reccomend measuring fired cases in all your 223 rifles and aim to bump the shoulders back 0.002" against the shortest case head to shoulder measurement, or 0.003" for non-bolt action rifles like a straight pull AR. This should improve case life a little bit assuming that you are using the full length die per the instruction manual and are therefore bumping back the shoulders significantly more.

Whilst I only have one 223 rifle I have 5 x fired Lapua brass and have only had to trim them once so far. 14 firings is pretty good going and you could probably get more if you anneal your case necks, that would reduce case neck splits.
Mattnall

#15 Post by Mattnall »

I was expecting them to go before now and have a load of new brass waiting, bought a few years ago for this eventuality. I have a commercial case length gauge and one I made and the cases are sized to suit, the shoulder is pushed back every time. I change barrels what seems like too regularly and load this cartridge size for 7 rifles, the youngest barrel is only approx. 200 rounds old. Doesn't seem like it'll be getting any older for a while now. Although I trim every loading it is very little if any that comes off, it is just one of the processes that I follow on every cycle.
The load is not overly hot and on a typical competition day we get through approx 200 rounds with two rifles. I'm getting maybe one or sometimes 2 split necks. I'm looking at chucking them away soon and then the cycle will start all over again.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
WelshShooter

#16 Post by WelshShooter »

Wow, seven 223's, you must love that calibre! If I ever need any advice on 223 I know who to come to! How long do your barrels typically last until you swap them out and how do you decide when they need to change? My bolt 223 round count is at around 2.5k but I have no idea how many rounds the previous owner(s) fired.
Mattnall

#17 Post by Mattnall »

Not all of them are mine. Two are the wife's and one each for the two boys. I only have three of my own, all AR types; a 20"A2, 18"A4ish and a 14.5"M4gery.

The oldest barrel had over 14,000 rounds before I felt it was letting me down. It was almost exclusively used on large targets out to 600 and quick courses of fire. It was a CM 1:10" from Olympic.

My target rifle (A2) barrel are 20" will get about 2000 before I move them to the CSR rifle, but last Christmas I decided to have new barrel on the CSR SO rifle and gone for 18" for a change.
But most of the faster ones (1:8" and 1:9") last about 5-6000 rounds before I feel I need to out them. I wait until I think I can shoot better than the rifle. I only have my A2 with a 1:9" barrel and when that's needs changing it'll get a faster twist just so I can start using the 80JLKs again. There's not much point having a slower twist than 1:8" if you're target shooting although a 1:9" will suffice for bullets up to 77gn.

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#18 Post by Pete »

Get the best, get Lapua....

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....