which 223 brass

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

which 223 brass

#1 Post by 20series »

Peeps

Looking to replace some many many times shot HPS-TR stamped 223 cases, looking for recommendations for new brass.

Obviously Lapua is the go to but wondered if anyone was using anything else.

Cheer
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: which 223 brass

#2 Post by Daryll »

I'd say go with GGG....

Good quality, very reloadable, and once fired can be picked up very cheap..
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

Lapua and Privi are all good brass that I've used. The Lapua is obviously the most consistent brass in terms of case length, mass and neck tension. Privi is a bit less consistent and is not always ready to reload out of the box due to inconsistent case lengths or inconsistent neck tension. I have five times fired cases from both brands and primers are still tight and no neck splits so far!

I picked up some once fired GGG from Breacher on here a couple of years ago but still haven't got round to using them. The GGG will need the military crimped primer pockets removed prior to use. I was actually doing this today, it's easy to do this with either the RCBS primer pocket swage tool (which is what I use) or you can trim/cut with a tool.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

A twist with a Lyman de-burr tool is all that is needed to remove crimp.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

thanks all,

might get myself some privy to try, tbh I normally always resize all my new brass even Lapua just to be sure anyway.

Many thanks

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

Privi has been very good in my loading/shooting regime.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#7 Post by Andy632 »

I just use lapua for my out and out target loads and RG for my basic magazine loads.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Ballistol

#8 Post by Ballistol »

Nothing wrong with rounding up some once fired brass, and saving yourself some money in the process.
There are many makes readily available, Geco, PPU, GGG, RP, Federal etc.
Just make sure that they do not have primer crimps, or that you are prepared to do the minimal work required to make them usable.
I typically find that top end loads will result in the primer pocket starting to loosen after 6 or so reloads, but you should still get a good number of reloads from once fired brass.
Tac20 mark

#9 Post by Tac20 mark »

imusing winchester at themoment seems a bit hard in 223
bb2

#10 Post by bb2 »

I have just bought factory ammo and shot it and use the empties to reload. Not overly fussy about makes and have not had any amazingly bad results from any of it. There is a touch too much snobbery about some brands and whether it can be reloaded or not.