Bullets shaving on inner case / resistance when seating .308

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Bullets shaving on inner case / resistance when seating .308

#1 Post by dirtbag »

Hi all, annoying this.
I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on a small issue I have please.

Every time I seat heavy bullets for .308 there is a lot of resistance when seating. They go in, but a small faint ring on the bullet tip, and sometime some copper shavings on the outer case mouth. However, assortment of shorter 147 - 150gr bullets seat fine with no issues. These few I am only testing short range for speed , but obviously long range I'd be better off throwing ammo over the fence.

I do not have this issue with any other of my rifles I handload for, just this caliber with expensive bullets !.
The brass is once fired and full length resized, I have tried the following brass :

Remington
GGG
Lapua

All trimmed, chamfered ,deburred, but with the same issue

Dies I have.
RCBS .308 small base
LEE RGB .308

Problem Bullets 175gr Sierra Matchkings

Thanks in advance
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Bullets shaving on inner case / resistance when seating

#2 Post by Pete »

Are you tumbling the cases to clean them? I had this problem a while back. The tumbling (wet with steel pins) was peening the rim of the case over slightly, and the 45 degee de-burrer wasn't removing all of the burr. I got round it by annealing the cases after 4 or 5 firings and deburring the inside edge with one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taper-Reamer ... -enlarger/

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#3 Post by dirtbag »

Pete wrote:Are you tumbling the cases to clean them? I had this problem a while back. The tumbling (wet with steel pins) was peening the rim of the case over slightly, and the 45 degee de-burrer wasn't removing all of the burr. I got round it by annealing the cases after 4 or 5 firings and deburring the inside edge with one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taper-Reamer ... -enlarger/

Pete
Hi Pete ,Yes I wet tumble with the Chicago rock tumbler and pins. The brass comes up like new.
So simply buy one of these and a few rotations inside ?
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#4 Post by dirtbag »

Hi Pete I have this tool, will this work ?

1/2" 12mm countersink deburring tool ?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Ballistol

#5 Post by Ballistol »

Depending on the bullet you are seating, this can help greatly https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/ly ... fer-reamer
rox

#6 Post by rox »

I've never had a problem from wet tumbling (and I never chamfer), but I do use a .307 carbide floating expander mandrel and (sometimes) something similar to an M die. Both of these might be an alternative way to solve the problem, and might lead to more consistent neck tension too.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#7 Post by dirtbag »

Hi all I have purchased the cheaper reamer for now as I think that should solve the problem. Many thanks as I would of never of thought the tumbling would or could of caused this issue !
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by Pete »

Sorry the first ebay link didn't work.......this is the reamer I bought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/361894229840

The shooting specific types are intended to just remove the burr created when trimming the case.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

They are probably no use at all. But it's your money.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#10 Post by dirtbag »

Alpha1 wrote:They are probably no use at all. But it's your money.
What would you suggest then ?