Lee quick trim case length trimmer.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Lee quick trim case length trimmer.

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Has anybody got any first hand information on the operation, use, accuracy of this type of case trimmer system.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Lee quick trim case length trimmer.

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

I've got and use one for my .223 brass, v. quick and easy to use! I don't measure down to the nth degree though so can't speak one way or the other about its accuracy. If it goes through my brass gauge thats enough for me.
DVC
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#3 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Decided to give it a go.
Ordered the deluxe rotary cutter and 7.92, 7.62x54R and 303 Trim Dies.
From Spud 1967. Very efficient very helpful and best of all at keen prices.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#4 Post by ukrifleman »

I have 7 Lee de-luxe Quick Trim cutters and that should tell you my opinion of them.
Apart from the fact they trim, de-burr and chamfer in one operation, they are also very consistent for trim length.

ukrifleman.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#5 Post by Geek »

I bought .308 and 6.5CM at the weekend. I have used the .308 and I am very impressed. I didn't buy he deluxe since I has been informed that the chamfer springs were too strong and needed less tension.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

I have to say I didn't get on with the Lee trimmer... whether i was doing something wrong I don't know, but I found it gave very inconsistent lengths.

I gave up and bought a Hornady lathe type trimmer, but even that can vary a couple of thou as it registers on the front of the rim... but when you measure a case its from the bottom of the rim so any variation in rim thickness, or burrs from extractors, can cause the variance.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#7 Post by ukrifleman »

Geek[i] wrote:I bought .308 and 6.5CM at the weekend. I have used the .308 and I am very impressed. I didn't buy he deluxe since I has been informed that the chamfer springs were too strong and needed less tension.
From my own personal experience I would say you have been misinformed about the chamfer springs being too strong.

As I mentioned in my original post, all my 7 de-luxe trimmers work very well and give consistent trim length.

The secret to trouble free operation, is to regularly clean out the brass residue during use, ensure the blades are clean and lightly lube the cutter head body.

I put one drop of Ballistol on my finger and wipe it around the cutter body after every time I clean.

I have quick trims in 7.92x57, .303, 7.62x54R, 7.5X55, 30-06, 6.5X55 and .308Win and none of them have been problematic.

The secret is to follow the instructions and keep them clean.

ukrifleman.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

How much are they to buy?
I just had a quick look am I right in thinking they are about £24 each. Ouch. I have twelve different calibers. No way. I use a Wilson Trimmer, in my opinion, the most accurate trimmer on the market.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#9 Post by ukrifleman »

Alpha1 wrote:How much are they to buy?
I just had a quick look am I right in thinking they are about £24 each. Ouch. I have twelve different calibers. No way. I use a Wilson Trimmer, in my opinion, the most accurate trimmer on the market.
Krank sell the de-luxe cutter for £22-60 (you only need one) and each calibre specific rifle die body for £12-20. Pistol calibre die bodies are £14-20 each.

I keep my 7 die bodies in a couple of turrets for my Lee Classic press so changing calibres is very quick and easy.

I load for 17 calibres and Lee only make 7 die bodies for calibres that I load. For the rest I use their trim gauges and ball cutter.

ukrifleman.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#10 Post by Lancs Lad »

Daryll wrote:I have to say I didn't get on with the Lee trimmer... whether i was doing something wrong I don't know, but I found it gave very inconsistent lengths.

I gave up and bought a Hornady lathe type trimmer, but even that can vary a couple of thou as it registers on the front of the rim... but when you measure a case its from the bottom of the rim so any variation in rim thickness, or burrs from extractors, can cause the variance.
This is similar to my experience.

I had reasonably high hopes for the trimmer but inconsistent length and blades constantly fouling are a big disappointment. I am following the instructions correctly and wanted something to speed up the case preparation process, but this isn't it.

:flag13: LL