Reloading for the 6.5 creedmore

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Reloading for the 6.5 creedmore

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I am ready to aquire a Ruger precision rifle subject to a variation. My local dealer has the 24 inch version in stock in caliber .308 and 6.5 creedmore. My head says go for the .308 but my sense of adventure says go for the 6.5 creedmore.
Does any one reload for the 6.5 if so what powder and bullet combinations are you using. They say its expensive to reload for once you have the dies and brass is it a expensive caliber to run.
I currently have .308s and all the reloading gear. But do I really want another .308.
kevinww

Re: Reloading for the 6.5 creedmore

#2 Post by kevinww »

I reload both 308 and 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5 is cheaper than 308 as it uses less powder and other consumables, such as primers and bullets are equivalent prices.

Currently use N150 powder and 139gr Scenar bullets.
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#3 Post by waterford103 »

kevinww wrote:I reload both 308 and 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5 is cheaper than 308 as it uses less powder and other consumables, such as primers and bullets are equivalent prices.

Currently use N150 powder and 139gr Scenar bullets.
This but either N160 or Ramshot Hunter . Cases are becoming more plentiful , when I started with 6.5 cm cases were hard to get and expensive so being a tightwad I converted a load of redundant Norma 243 brass into 6.5 cm . 6.5 is a super accurate round at ranges where the 308 is struggling , 600 yds and on.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
The Gun Pimp

#4 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote:I am ready to aquire a Ruger precision rifle subject to a variation. My local dealer has the 24 inch version in stock in caliber .308 and 6.5 creedmore. My head says go for the .308 but my sense of adventure says go for the 6.5 creedmore.
Does any one reload for the 6.5 if so what powder and bullet combinations are you using. They say its expensive to reload for once you have the dies and brass is it a expensive caliber to run.
I currently have .308s and all the reloading gear. But do I really want another .308.
You might like to read my little article in Target Shooter magazine. http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=3018
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#5 Post by WelshShooter »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:I am ready to aquire a Ruger precision rifle subject to a variation. My local dealer has the 24 inch version in stock in caliber .308 and 6.5 creedmore. My head says go for the .308 but my sense of adventure says go for the 6.5 creedmore.
You might like to read my little article in Target Shooter magazine. http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=3018
Nice article, thanks for sharing! I'm one of the heathen 6.5x47 Lapua guys and my go to load is 123gr Scenar's with Vihtavuori N150 powder.

Buying Lapua bullets in bulk from Europe is where you can save considerable amounts of money, and the price per hundred is on par with PPU bullets so if you have the cash to buy 1k bullets at a time it is really worth doing it.

I've had good experience with the 123gr A Max too, but these are more expensive than the Scenar's and don't fly as fast so will always be second choice for me. Accuracy wise, they're equally as good as the Scenar.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
Thanks an interesting read. I'm starting to lean more towards the Creedmore rather than the .308. I all ready have accurate .308s it might be fun to try something different. Need to do the variation thing. I still have another couple of rifles to move on so I can buy more goodies. I have decided to only keep rifles I actually shoot. The rest can go.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Sellier and Bellot cases in 6.5 Creedmore has anyone used these if so have you experienced loose primers after firing. Primers backing off etc.
Is there a reason you would go for small primers brass as opposed to normal primer pocket size.
treetop
Home club or Range: Grove

#8 Post by treetop »

Hate to point out, but it's Creedmoor & not Creedmore.
Just Incase you are searching for data, it may help.

I have always used resized 22-250 brass - mainly due to the fact that when I started, there was only Hornady available in the Creed. After playing with Small primer brass ( lapua ) I've gone back to large primer, as I find it better & a lot less fussy. I found that small primer likes to be run on hot loads & that doesn't work well on the 100gr & 120gr hunting bullets that I mainly run.

I would never go back to a 308, IMO, the creed does it all & is much nicer to shoot, softer recoil & better availability of different bullet weights - what's not to like !
Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor XLR Envy
Rem 700 .223 XLR Element
CZ 527 17 Hornet - AICS copy
Various other calibre's
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by Pete »

I recently sold my 308.........a bit of a thug compared to the 6.5x47. The 6.5 is superior, especially at 1000-1200 yds.
Plus as WelshShooter said, buying the 123 and 136 Scenars in bulk from Europe saves a wad of cash, even taking shipping, exchange etc into account.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
The Gun Pimp

#10 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote:Sellier and Bellot cases in 6.5 Creedmore has anyone used these if so have you experienced loose primers after firing. Primers backing off etc.
Is there a reason you would go for small primers brass as opposed to normal primer pocket size.
Not used Sellior & Bellot cases in 6.5 Creedmoor just Hornady, Lapua and Starline. If you are interested in getting the best out of your new Creedmoor, then start off with the best components - you can try cheaper alternatives once you've got it shooting well. If you're just going to be plinking then do what I did in the Target Shooter article - Starline brass and PPU bullets - that'll save you 50% over Lapua/Berger.

Large primer or small primer? Well, using the small-primer brass will leave a bit more 'meat' in the case-head which will hopefully help with avoiding loose primer pockets, thus leading to extended case-life.