Anyone using Alliant Reloader 15 for 7.62x54r?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Anyone using Alliant Reloader 15 for 7.62x54r?

#1 Post by snayperskaya »

The reason I ask is that i usually use Viht N140 or Ramshot Big Game but I'm struggling to get either round my way at the moment but I can get Reloader 15.

It would appear that Reloader 15 has a very similar, if not the same, burn rate as both N140 and Big Game and according to the data I have the start and max loads for N140 and Reloader 15 are the same.

I'm just wondering if any of you good people use it for 54r?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Anyone using Alliant Reloader 15 for 7.62x54r?

#2 Post by Sim G »

Alliant powders are "Old School" and so not very fashionable these days. As you say, they are next to each other in my 2018 burn rate table. I say give it a crack!

Was always a goal of mine which each cartridge I loaded, to have a least two loads with different components because if the availability or lack of.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

Sim G wrote:Alliant powders are "Old School" and so not very fashionable these days. As you say, they are next to each other in my 2018 burn rate table. I say give it a crack!

Was always a goal of mine which each cartridge I loaded, to have a least two loads with different components because if the availability or lack of.
I've bit the bullet (no pun intended) and bought two tubs, got it for £39.99 at tub which was a result :good:

My N140 and Big Game loads, using .311" 150gr PPU SPBT's, very closely match each other and shoot to the same point of aim as Russian 188/77 148gr milsurp, which is handy as that is what my scopes BDC turret settings are calibrated for.

Looking at the data for RL-15 it seems to have a broad calibre spread and is apparently the powder used in the US M118LR round.If I can get a load that is as good as my N140/Big Game loads I'll be a happy camper :good:

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

snayperskaya wrote:
Sim G wrote:Alliant powders are "Old School" and so not very fashionable these days. As you say, they are next to each other in my 2018 burn rate table. I say give it a crack!

I've bit the bullet (no pun intended) and bought two tubs, got it for £39.99 at tub which was a result :good:

My N140 and Big Game loads, using .311" 150gr PPU SPBT's, very closely match each other and shoot to the same point of aim as Russian 188/77 148gr milsurp, which is handy as that is what my scopes BDC turret settings are calibrated for.

Looking at the data for RL-15 it seems to have a broad calibre spread and is apparently the powder used in the US M118LR round.If I can get a load that is as good as my N140/Big Game loads I'll be a happy camper :good:
were they 1lb tubs? if so then maybe 1Kg (2.2lb) tubs of RS50 or N140 would be somewhat cheaper, if you managed to score 1KG tubs for that price you did well!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

kennyc wrote:
were they 1lb tubs? if so then maybe 1Kg (2.2lb) tubs of RS50 or N140 would be somewhat cheaper, if you managed to score 1KG tubs for that price you did well!
They were 1lb tubs, which seem to be around £45 elsewhere.I don't think it is available in 1kg tubs.

I'm in a bit of a black hole when it comes to shops nearby that stock powder and the two I use that are fairly local haven't got N140 in stock and are awaiting orders to come in, which seems to have been weeks now!.