loading ammo for the Chiappa Rhino 38 / 357

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
jack1
Home club or Range: Sittingbourne rifle and pistol club

loading ammo for the Chiappa Rhino 38 / 357

#1 Post by jack1 »

Hi. Is any one loading rounds for the Chiappa Rhino revolver in 38/357 for target shooting at 25 mtrs? What cases 38 or 357. what powder and how much, what bullet head level of crimp if any, oal of round and most important how is the accuracy?
Thanks
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: loading ammo for the Chiappa Rhino 38 / 357

#2 Post by 1066 »

Although I'm not familiar with the Rhino I can't see it being any different to load for than any other .357 revolver. For 25m target shooting I would use a .357 case, 158gn lead cast SWC bullet, bit of a roll crimp and a pinch of Bullseye (several fast powders work well). Another well tried bullet would be a 148gn full wadcutter, however you will need to check out your range rules - there may be energy limits and some clubs may not like wadcutters because they punch holes in rubber backing.

Accuracy shouldn't be a problem if you have the correct size bullet - Accuracy (or the lack of) with a pistol is usually the shooter, not the pistol. I would hope for groups of less than 2" at 25 yards from a supported position.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
jack1

#3 Post by jack1 »

Thanks what would you quantify as a "pinch of Bullseye" Experience of old (pre 1997) was 2,8 grains
tfb
Home club or Range: TSC

#4 Post by tfb »

the downside of bullseye is that it is very dirty, and with the low barrel of the Rhino my hands are filthy after shooting.
I use 4.5gn in an 357 case with 158gn LSWC, a bit hotter than a pure target load, but works well in both the rhino and my underlever.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#5 Post by FredB »

The old 2.8 grn of Bullseye load was used with a 148grn hollow based wadcutter, loaded almost flush with the mouth of the case. There was a lot of mythology about problems with using 38 Special cases in 357 Mag chambers. I have a friend who used 38 cases in his model 19 Smith from the 1970s up to the pistol ban and then shipped his guns to the Isle of Man where they still see use but considerably reduced. He never had any problems. I had a lot of 357 cases which I used in mt 686s but my favourite load was 5 grn of Unique with a 150grn bullet.
After the ban, I aquired a 357 Rossi and found that the hollow base wadcutter was not very good but the old faithful Unique / 150grn combination was still a winner.
Fred
jack1

#6 Post by jack1 »

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I well recall as a handgunner up to 1997 the loading of such as Smith and Wesson's (K and L frames)for such as Bianchi and 1500PPC I am interested to know in particular the loading of the Rhino 38/357
lapua338

#7 Post by lapua338 »

The downside of Bullseye is that it is very dirty, and with the low barrel of the Rhino my hands are filthy after shooting
That's because the forcing cone on these Chiappa's is inadequate or absent. Poor quality control and sloppy forcing cone disease.

A member of our club has one. It spat lead everywhere and was very dirty. It was so unpleasant it would draw blood on the face and hands of the shooter next to him on the line. Since the forcing cone cutting (and checking of the alignment, depth, angle and finish) it no longer does this.

Why reinvent the wheel? It's expensive and doesn't function correctly out of the box. The only positive attribute is the sight radius and fibre-optic sights.
jack1

#8 Post by jack1 »

"Why reinvent the wheel? It's expensive and doesn't function correctly out of the box. The only positive attribute is the sight radius and fibre-optic sights"

Thanks for that informative reply. In truth I have not found any LBR that works well unless you pay for the £3K versions of a rebuilt S&W 686
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#9 Post by WelshShooter »

I'm not a fan of bullseye powders, they are dirty and when shooting indoors there's something in the smoke that stings my eyes. I've been using 5.6gr of Ramshot True Blue powder with a 158gr Truncated Cone in a 357mag case. A slight taper crimp is applied. This load shoots a ragged hole at 25m using my Marlin 1894.

The ball powder meters very well in a volumetric powder dispenser (eg RCBS Uniflow) and is a fairly clean burning powder.
2014-07-07 20.05.15.jpg
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by 1066 »

These are 158 gn TC cast lead shot through my Winchester 64AE. 5 shot groups at 25 yards. .357 case, 4.5gn Bullseye for about 1,040fps and 4.5gn Unique for about 1,020fps. I've stuck with the Unique, it's a bit sooty but I like it.

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com