Reloading motivation

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

Reloading motivation

#1 Post by TRG-22 »

Just wondering...

If one doesn't have a technical interest in the activity, and no need to craft ammunition that is of a special nature that can't be found commercially, or a higher quality, consistency etc, how much does one have to be getting through for it to be a money saving exercise? I know it's probably calibre dependent, but for the most commonly used ones...?
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Reloading motivation

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

I don,t save any money hand loading ammunition. Its more accurate but my main reason for hand loading is because its a fascinating subject and I love doing it. The only reason I shoot is to provide me with empty cases to hand load.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

Tbh one of the reasons I got into fullbore shooting following on from prone smallbore was reloading, being of a technical persuasion it interested me. I now find the actual processes quite medative and relaxing.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#4 Post by Daryll »

I hate it.... if I could afford it, I'd only shoot factory ammo....!!

I don't mind pistol calibres so much, chuck the cases in the tumber for an hour or two, then feed them through my Lee progessive and completed rounds fall out, but I find rifle calibres a real ball-ache... clean, resize, trim, clean again, then load, seat and crimp....

Maybe "hate" is too strong a word, but reloading not something I look forward to...
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

I load 6.5x47, among others:
Case (Lapua) £1 currently getting around 20 reloads, so 5p
Bullet (Scenar 123gn) 29p
Powder (RS50) 19p
Primer (Russian) 2.5p

Total 55.5p a pop

I don't know if factory ammo is available in the UK.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Handloading for saving money is the wrong motivation and will lead to bother in due course.

If handloading is a chore to you then the likelyhood of errors are increased and possible harm to you and even worse innocent bystanders.

If you do not find handloading a rewarding pastime in itself which will enable you to make ammunition tailored to your gun, help you have a greater understanding of your firearm(s) and ballistics, allow you to experiment with and try out different components and give you a rewarding way of enjoying your firearms whilst not at the range then do your self and everyone else a favour and stick to factory ammunition.

Handloading also allows you to enter the wonderful world of cast bullet shooting. Casting along with hand loading also enables you shoot guns chambered for ammunition that is no longer available.

Money saving is a false motivation, I doubt anyone has saved any money handloading but it certainly allows you to shoot more but only if you relish the process of itself for its own sake.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#7 Post by kennyc »

it causes confusion when the FEO tries to add up how many rounds you have fired during the year, do you need any other reason? lollol
The Gun Pimp

#8 Post by The Gun Pimp »

TRG-22 wrote:Just wondering...

If one doesn't have a technical interest in the activity, and no need to craft ammunition that is of a special nature that can't be found commercially, or a higher quality, consistency etc, how much does one have to be getting through for it to be a money saving exercise? I know it's probably calibre dependent, but for the most commonly used ones...?
To answer the question you asked:

Let's say a 308 factory round costs £1 and 'Pete' has worked out that a reload costs 55p - but let's round that up to 60p (20 reloads per case is a bit much!)

So, by reloading, you will save 40p per round.

Now, a reloading kit - press, dies etc. can be bought for about £400 so, before that is 'paid for' you will need to reload 1000 rounds.

Of course, you could complicate it a bit - by selling off your once-fired factory brass............
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#9 Post by TRG-22 »

dromia wrote:<Stuff which all makes perfect sense.>
Thanks.

And I know just where you're coming from. I like marmalade. I make my own (sometimes), not to save money, but because I can make it how I prefer it - less sweet and more bitter than the stuff you can buy.

I don't make all that I eat, because I find the process of making it an utter b***s-ache. Thank god I lke thick cut or cutting thin strips of peel would drive me insane.

But the fact that because I don't use "enough" sugar it doesn't set fully, and that the b-a of prep means I sometimes cut corners by not cutting the peel enough doesn't mean I end up with jars of something that will harm me or others.

Unless people screwing up their face saying "(*£^$^'#@ me that's bitter" counts as "harm" :twisted:
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

TRG-22 wrote:
dromia wrote:<Stuff which all makes perfect sense.>
Thanks.

And I know just where you're coming from. I like marmalade. I make my own (sometimes), not to save money, but because I can make it how I prefer it - less sweet and more bitter than the stuff you can buy.

I don't make all that I eat, because I find the process of making it an utter b***s-ache. Thank god I lke thick cut or cutting thin strips of peel would drive me insane.

But the fact that because I don't use "enough" sugar it doesn't set fully, and that the b-a of prep means I sometimes cut corners by not cutting the peel enough doesn't mean I end up with jars of something that will harm me or others.

Unless people screwing up their face saying "(*£^$^'#@ me that's bitter" counts as "harm" :twisted:
Obviously you have neither the mind set or imagination required to be a safe handloader so you should stick to factory ammunition.

Such a cavalier attitude to safety indicates that anything do with firearms isn't for you.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/