lube

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: lube

#21 Post by Pete »

I said vaseline, not KY jelly............... 8-)

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#22 Post by kennyc »

Alpha1 wrote:
kennyc wrote:Imperial sizing wax and a ziploc bag a marriage made in heaven lollol
Explain please how does that work.
as has been said, you take the bag run a fingertip that has been dipped in the wax along both sides, then fill with cases, close the bag and massage it lightly for a minute or two, allowing the cases to be coated, very clean in operation and uses a lot less wax than individually coating cases manually. I normally do 50 cases at a time.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#23 Post by WelshShooter »

snayperskaya wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:
Remember to lightly lube the inside of the necks, that way the button on the full length sizer can slide through the case neck when lowering the ram.

For the necks I use powdered graphite, I have it in a small plastic tub and it is mixed in with No.3 shot.The graphite coated shot distributes the graphite around the inside of the case neck and the expander slides through very smoothly.

Powdered graphite is actually used as a lubricant on full size industrial presses.

I have the redding graphite kit with ceramic media, used to use it with a redding neck bushing kit I no longer use.

Do you use just graphite powder for full sizing, or lube the outside of cases and dunk just the case neck in graphite powder?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#24 Post by dromia »

If you do the wise thing and remove and destroy the abomination that is expander balls then there is no need for lubing the inside of the necks.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#25 Post by snayperskaya »

WelshShooter wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:
Remember to lightly lube the inside of the necks, that way the button on the full length sizer can slide through the case neck when lowering the ram.

For the necks I use powdered graphite, I have it in a small plastic tub and it is mixed in with No.3 shot.The graphite coated shot distributes the graphite around the inside of the case neck and the expander slides through very smoothly.

Powdered graphite is actually used as a lubricant on full size industrial presses.

I have the redding graphite kit with ceramic media, used to use it with a redding neck bushing kit I no longer use.

Do you use just graphite powder for full sizing, or lube the outside of cases and dunk just the case neck in graphite powder?
Graphite powder just on the case necks, I just stick the case neck in the pot and swiddle it around a bit.I don't do it with every case, I'd say 1 in every 10-12 cases seems enough, sometimes more.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#26 Post by snayperskaya »

dromia wrote:If you do the wise thing and remove and destroy the abomination that is expander balls then there is no need for lubing the inside of the necks.
Genuine question....what's the reasoning behind that?.

Personally I haven't had, or at least noticed, a problem with the expander in my dies although I have polished them with very fine abrasive paper to reduce the diameter slightly.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#27 Post by dromia »

Why over work your case necks, the fact that you have to lube the case neck insides in the first place should tell you something of the abuse it gives the brass.

If case necks do need expanding and I have never found it necessary with condom bullets, then a straight sided "M" style expander as a separate step is far gentler on the brass and does not add to case lengthening as the expander ball does.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

gashtyke

#28 Post by gashtyke »

dromia wrote:Why over work your case necks, the fact that you have to lube the case neck insides in the first place should tell you something of the abuse it gives the brass.

If case necks do need expanding and I have never found it necessary with condom bullets, then a straight sided "M" style expander as a separate step is far gentler on the brass and does not add to case lengthening as the expander ball does.

Dromia, you missed a 'not' out of your last paragraph
dromia
Site Admin

#29 Post by dromia »

Thanks.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#30 Post by Mattnall »

rox wrote:
Dellboy wrote:
Gazza wrote:I use the lanolin and isoprolol alchohol mix too dell. Nice and cheap :good:
is there a recipe ?
1 part liquid lanolin to 10 parts 99.9% isopropyl alcohol.
Shake well before application, and allow alcohol to evaporate before sizing.
I use a mix closer to 21:1.
I have seen recipes with proportions anywhere between 10:1 to 25:1. Dillon Case Lube is similar to the 20:1 mix and if you buy a 5lt bottle of 99.9% alcohol and two 118ml bottles of pure lanolin (the sizes readily available online) then you have the quantities to mix at 21.19:1 - good enough for me and saves too much measuring out and I haven't had a case stick yet.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.