New reloader

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Grovenik46
Home club or Range: Dudley rifle club, Stourbridge old Edwardian rifle club.

New reloader

#1 Post by Grovenik46 »

Hi, Ive just purchased a .308 rifle and looking at starting to reload.
After speaking to various people and chatting with mark at 1967spud I’ve settled on a lee 60th anniversary kit which should be delivered this week. I’ve got a set of dies that came with the rifle that I brought.
I’ve read a couple of reloading books, any advice or recommendations of videos to watch would be appropriate.
Thanks
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: New reloader

#2 Post by dromia »

Shame you went for a kit, no one manufacturer makes all handloading equipment well, they all have strengths and weaknesses.

With Lee it is their scales which is the crucial piece of handloading equipment, it is your main line of defence for a safe load. I would not trust any handload that used Lee scales for weighing the powder charge, there are very good reasons why all Lee's plagiarised handloading data is always at the miniumum safe load. Get yourself a good second hand set of beam scales and a set of check weights. RCBS, Redding, Lyman and Hornady have all made good beam scales in their time.

Digital scales are not to be trusted, they drift off calibration very easily and they are very susceptible to environmental factors unless you want spend serious money on them.

Can't recommend any videos as I don't like them as teaching aids and will not use youtube.

I can heartily recommend the Lyman manual for clear handloading instruction and sound pressure tested data. Avoid the Lee manual like the plague they don't pressure test any loads just copy from others and add a few errors along the way, their hadloading instruction is all about the Lee system which is very specific to their equipment so a more generic manual is better.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

You could spend some time with Rosie, a series of half a dozen good quality videos to get you started. - Although she's using Hornady kit the principles are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kitp0Fwd7ow&t=9s
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Grovenik46

#4 Post by Grovenik46 »

Droma thank you.
1066 I spent some time with Rosie this morning, very helpful and very easy on the eye
johngarnett
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#5 Post by johngarnett »

I know there will probably be some discontent about what I suggest but I was once new to rifle reloading some 30 yrs ago and I was glad to be given a starting point.

My shooting is target, FTR, 100 to 1000 yds or meters, .308. I use 155 grn bullets and Vit 140, Reload Swiss 50 or 52. There is a ton of info and everyone will have their own pet loads which you can find by practice. This is part of the fun of reloading. Don't just take a load off a US site - work up slowly, poss using UK tried and tested loads. The Americans seem to love velocity!! Not vital.

Dromia is right about the Lee scales and avoid digital. You will find the bits you use most and need to upgrade. You will also need a Man Cave to store all the c**p you accumulate and to store beers!

I've watched Rosie...……. I didn't even know it was a reloading video(!)

If you search on here you should find some 308 load info. Let us know your uses and we'll chip in I'm sure!

Good shooting

JohnG :cornwall:
Grovenik46

#6 Post by Grovenik46 »

Hi john
Thank you for your advice.
I’ve brought a second hand weatherby vanguard, it’s not got a mark on it and had less then 200 rounds through it.
I’m going to be using it for target shooting, starting at 100 yards and working up distances over time.

Paul

#7 Post by 1066 »

I believe the Vangard is made by Howa - A good solid rifle, I had a Howa .243 at one time and found it reasonably accurate out to 600 yards although struggled to keep up at 1,000 yds.

I agree with John and Dromia, sell on the Lee scales, find an old set of RCBS or other quality scales and don't listen to the siren calls to get a cheap digital scale. No matter what road your reloading takes you a good beam scale will last a lifetime.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#8 Post by WelshShooter »

Gavintoobe makes some excellent videos on YouTube, I'm sure you can search his videos for equipment you have and there will most likely be a video explaining how to set up and use such a device.

If you don't have a reloading book I'd definitely reccomend having a copy at hand especially as you start learning to reload. Videos can be really helpful in illustrating points that may or may not be clear from reading a book. Always use load data from the book or from the powder manufacturers website. I wouldn't trust other people's loads online but if there's a combination which does sound good then go and research that load to see if it acceptable to work up to.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

1066 wrote:I believe the Vangard is made by Howa - A good solid rifle, I had a Howa .243 at one time and found it reasonably accurate out to 600 yards although struggled to keep up at 1,000 yds.

I agree with John and Dromia, sell on the Lee scales, find an old set of RCBS or other quality scales and don't listen to the siren calls to get a cheap digital scale. No matter what road your reloading takes you a good beam scale will last a lifetime.
I agree bin the Lee scales and buy a good beam scale. I am not a fan of Lee equipment. The kit will work but its not what I would of recommended. Has all ready said don,t rely on the Lee manual load data. Buy a decent one the Lyman recommended by Adam is a good place to start.
Decide on what powder you are going to use and go to the manufactures web site and check out there load data.
I use Vitavouri N140 in my .308 rifle.
I use 155 grain bullets.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#10 Post by ukrifleman »

Welcome to the forum,

I would like to add my 2 pennyworth to the good advice that has already been given.

A good quality beam scale is your best bet and will last you a lifetime if you look after it, I would also highly recommend a set

of check weights, particularly if you are thinking of buying a second hand scale.

You will also need a micrometer or calipers for measurement of cases etc.

If you are reasonably numerate, then you will find reloading straight forward enough and very rewarding, but it is also a very precise undertaking, near enough is not good enough!

There are 7,000 grains of powder to the pound and you will be weighing charges down to +/- 1/10 of a grain and measuring bullets and cartridge overall lengths to within 3 decimal points.

Safety is paramount, develop a routine that minimises error and stick to it.

Don't allow yourself to be distracted by others or social media etc, stay focused on the job in hand.

Enjoy your new found hobby and I am sure that the host of experienced reloader's on this forum will only too happy to offer advice if needed.

ukrifleman.