N550 loads for 174 / 180 gr .303

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

Re: N550 loads for 174 / 180 gr .303

#11 Post by 450 Martini »

40.5 grains of N140 with a 174 grain bullet is my standard .303 load and the equivalent load in TR-140/RS 50 seems to work well for me.
As a bonus the camphor additive one smells on RS 50 does give one a clear set of sinuses during a reloading session.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

On the subject of powders, reloading 'recipes' are very regional. When I first started reloading centre fire rifle all those years ago in Bedfordshire we all used Viht and Lapua. Walk across the border to Cambridgeshire and everyone used Hodgdon and Sierra and we would spend many hours discussing the merits of our personal loads for long distance and why we chose them. The reason was very simple, suppliers stocked Viht and Lapua locally.

What I will say and yes, I know this thread is digressing now, is I have always said European components for European rifles and USA for USA. So I would always start with Viht and Lapua for for a Sako or Accuracy International, may argument being the manufacturers would use locally sourced components for testing after they had moved away from factory ammunition. OK, thta is probably a naive and flawed belief however I still work with it to this day.

One final comment, if you find a factory load that works really well, email them and ask them what is in it! Lapua game full load data for .308 factory rounds many years ago without a care in the world.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

Ovenpaa wrote:I preferred RS50 or as was TR140 for .303 when shooting my 4(T) out to 1000 yards.
Interesting.

As I've given up shooting my 4T at 900yrds with factory PPU ammo on the electronic targets at Bisley.

Couldn't ever think about reloading where I used to live, just didn't have anywhere to do it, but since moving, its now something I can start to think about getting set up to do in the future, there even a reloading supplier only a 15min walk from where I'm now living.
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

GeeRam, the very last time I shot my 4(T) at 1000 yards it was with factory S&B. The variance from box to box was staggering, however within one box I put three rounds into a 12" group according the chaps on either side of me who could actually see the target markers. Next box was off the frame and at 1200 it was harassing fire at best and I stopped after 3-4 rounds.

That was probably the only rifle I have never felt totally comfortable with and I got rid of it very shortly afterwards.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GeeRam

#15 Post by GeeRam »

Ovenpaa wrote:GeeRam, the very last time I shot my 4(T) at 1000 yards it was with factory S&B. The variance from box to box was staggering, however within one box I put three rounds into a 12" group according the chaps on either side of me who could actually see the target markers. Next box was off the frame and at 1200 it was harassing fire at best and I stopped after 3-4 rounds.
It was only when they added the leccy targets at Bisley that there was a problem. Previously on the marked targets, with factory PPU at 900, I was able to score high 20's which I though was OK for a .303 battle rifle at 900yrds.
In two attempts at 900 on the leccy targets in similar weather conditions to previous occasions, couldn't even register a shot on the leccy targets...? If the rounds are hitting but the electronics are not registering your blind, so no point in shooting.
Another club member who could score regular high 30's with his P17 with marked targets is now in the same boat with the leccy targets and can't register a hit, and so no longer shoots the club 900 shoot....and he's using same factory ammo as before.

Sadly, the NRA move to leccy targets seems to be pushing us vintage military rifle enthusiasts away from the place as unless you've got the latest piece of Gucci plastic fantastic target or AI style kit you don't count?
Ovenpaa

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

I do remember shooting my P14 for the first time on the old electronic targets on Stickledown. The Viking and I were at 800 with a couple of 'scoped rifles and I loaded 5 into the rifle to see how it shot, set the rear sight to 800 and asked the Viking to spot for me. It was marked in the 4 ring at 9 O'clock. and with after that held the 5 ring albeit all to the left hand side. Considering it was off my elbows with an ill adjusted sling I was thrilled and considered it to be two hundred quid well spent.

I should still have a picture of the electronic screen somewhere. Happy days :)
/d

Shed Journal
rox

#17 Post by rox »

GeeRam wrote:Sadly, the NRA move to leccy targets seems to be pushing us vintage military rifle enthusiasts away from the place
Surely it's your club choosing to book them that's the problem. Manual targets are available just as they always were; it's just that there's now also a scattering of electronic targets available for those who want to book by the hour, or book at short notice etc. I use electronics at least once a week, but mostly shoot on my own for just an hour. If I was with enough people to justify a manual target and marker, and who I could depend-on to shoot efficiently to maximise utilisation, I'd have a manual target every time.
GeeRam

#18 Post by GeeRam »

rox wrote:
GeeRam wrote:Sadly, the NRA move to leccy targets seems to be pushing us vintage military rifle enthusiasts away from the place
Surely it's your club choosing to book them that's the problem. Manual targets are available just as they always were; it's just that there's now also a scattering of electronic targets available for those who want to book by the hour, or book at short notice etc. I use electronics at least once a week, but mostly shoot on my own for just an hour. If I was with enough people to justify a manual target and marker, and who I could depend-on to shoot efficiently to maximise utilisation, I'd have a manual target every time.
I agree, and after much moaning over the past 18 months, our 900yrd shoot this year was booked with a human being at the end.......sadly though, this bloody virus has put paid to that this year as well.

But club range bookings seem to be getting harder to arrange for this year, even before the coronavirus set in.