Case tumbling

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Case tumbling

#1 Post by johngarnett »

Can I ask the collective knowledge of this forum re stainless pin case tumbling.
What are you guys using as a tumbler?
Is it always wet?
Can I use a vibratory tumbler and just change the media to pins?
Thanks

JohnG :cornwall:
Ovenpaa

Re: Case tumbling

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

We use a LEM which is a wet tumbler with micro stainless needles in a clear tub with a motor the size of a small planet underneath. It is quick and efficient and works for us.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal

#3 Post by 1066 »

Over the years I've tried several methods, dry vibrator, dry rotary and ultrasonic but switched to wet SS media around 5 years ago. There's no comparison if you want clean cases inside and out.

I don't think the SS pins work dry and not in the vibratory tumblers. I use an old rock tumbler, these rock tumblers are designed to run wet and days on end.
Just add a little washing up liquid and some citric acid crystals and you will have sparkling cases including primer pockets in less than an hour.
There's always the argument as to whether you actually need shiny cases but that's a personal choice.
Here's my tumbler in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcyAkj-LzA8
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

As above.

If you go the wet SS pin route don't get all caught up in the Lemishine additive craze. Just because that is what the Americans use doesn't make it the only thing to use.
As 1066 says, citric acid (to soften the water) and some washing up liquid (as detergent) work fine, as does a tablet or powder for the dishwasher (if it has the softener built in).

Amounts vary with water type and you'll notice and adjust as you get results. Air dry or force dry, with weather like this I lay them in trays and let the sun do its magic (I sometimes lay them on an oven tray and place in the oven after dinner, as it cools).
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
DaveT

#5 Post by DaveT »

Drying is the only real downside.
Just roll the cases in a towel and then place them upside down in a cake cooling rack overnight..... job done and beautifully clean brass.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#6 Post by shoppe »

I have the lyman wet tumbler. I just use a squirt of washing up liquid in with the water and the cases come out really clean including the primer pocket. I would never go back to a dry tumbler. It is amazing how dirty the water is at the end of the cycle.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

DaveT wrote:Drying is the only real downside.
Just roll the cases in a towel and then place them upside down in a cake cooling rack overnight..... job done and beautifully clean brass.
Don't lie, lol. The setting is the easy but. The annoying part is separating the pins :(
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#8 Post by Lancs Lad »

Mattnall wrote:As above.

If you go the wet SS pin route don't get all caught up in the Lemishine additive craze. Just because that is what the Americans use doesn't make it the only thing to use.
As 1066 says, citric acid (to soften the water) and some washing up liquid (as detergent) work fine, as does a tablet or powder for the dishwasher (if it has the softener built in).

Amounts vary with water type and you'll notice and adjust as you get results. Air dry or force dry, with weather like this I lay them in trays and let the sun do its magic (I sometimes lay them on an oven tray and place in the oven after dinner, as it cools).
Exactly how I do it. Works a treat. Deprime the cases first and the primer pockets will also be spotless.

:flag13: LL
rox

#9 Post by rox »

johngarnett wrote:What are you guys using as a tumbler?
Here's a tumbler I built from an old treadmill, which cost about £30 on eBay. More detail about the conversion below. Previously I used a Thumlers tumbler for 5 years or so, but it wasn't up to my volume requirements, so it made cleaning 308 by the thousand rather laborious.

I chose the pins carefully, firstly to match the cases (and avoid pins stuck in necks and pockets), and secondly to balance cleaning speed vs. ease of separation. I don't think I've ever had a pin stick anywhere.

The drum came from C&M Topline in the USA. Alternatively drums can be made quite easily from PVC pipe, but then it's best to add agitators.

For cleaning I use a car wash product (Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax) plus citric acid crystals. The wash-and-wax is great to remove caked-on carbon and other grime, and leaves a non-sticky hard protective coating that reduces tarnish over long-term storage. Citric acid also passivates the brass, which improves corrosion resistance. There are much cheaper wash and wax products, but based on the results I've had using them on cars, I stick with the more expensive one for my brass.

I use a cat litter sifter to help with separation and rinsing. I've found this quicker and easier than a conventional rotary media separator, especially with larger quantities.

After separation and rinsing I'll remove loose surface water by doing the 'bowling ball polish' in a towel (video below), then the cases are dried in an old Belling food warmer (the sort of thing you'd have seen keeping pies warm in a shop in the 60s), or in summer just leave them outside on a towel.

Overall I find the interactive time of stainless cleaning to be only slightly more than that of dry tumbling (although my dry media separation process is probably more long-winded and meticulous than most), and now that I'm working in multiples of 500 cases for both processes there's less reason to dry tumble.

Some people experience 'peening' of the case mouths. I haven't experienced that, besides which my cases will be expanded and trimmed after cleaning anyway. I don't know what criteria determine whether it occurs or not - maybe thin brass or excessive chamfer are contributing factors.

The treadmill conversion was pretty straightforward. I selected a compact treadmill with a simple and lightweight steel box-section frame, and a minimal control panel. Some treadmills have a control panel like a flight deck, and some take 4 men to lift, with complex extruded frames. Also, watch out for 'manual' (un-powered) treadmills! The conversion was basically a 'cut 'n shut' - cut out the middle part of the frame and weld the section with the unpowered roller back on (rotated 180 degrees). Finally, cut out part of the plastic shroud that covers the powered roller to accommodate the drum.

Recipes:
Large tumbler: 2 tbsp Megiuars, 2 tsp citric acid.
Small Tumber: 1 tbsp Megiuars, 1 tsp citric acid.

The Treadmill: Finether HSM-T08E3 Motorised Treadmill
eBay

The Drum: C&M Topline TL-4
https://cmtopline.com/collections/tumbl ... ducts/tl-4

The Pins: 15 lb Stainless Steel Tumbling Media Pins - 0.047" Diameter, 0.255" Length
eBay

The Car Shampoo: Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-c ... 48083.html

The Sifter: Cat Litter Tray Sifting Box High Sided XL - Jumbo size
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122716534831

The Citric Acid: 1Kg Youngs Citric Acid
From local home brew shop.

The Drier: Belling Type 106 Food Warmer
http://forumphotos.oxford.wales/full-bo ... 2H0195.jpg

johngarnett wrote:Can I use a vibratory tumbler and just change the media to pins?
No.

johngarnett
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#10 Post by johngarnett »

Thank you, one and all.

Just as I was hoping / expecting - a vast amount of info!

Now back to research!

JohnG :cornwall: