Case tumbling

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
proteus
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: Case tumbling

#11 Post by proteus »

rox wrote:
johngarnett wrote:What are you guys using as a tumbler?
Here's a tumbler I built from an old treadmill, which cost about £30 on eBay. More detail about the conversion below. Previously I used a Thumlers tumbler for 5 years or so, but it wasn't up to my volume requirements, so it made cleaning 308 by the thousand rather laborious.
:o This is genius. That's the one drawback of the jewelry/rock tumbler I bought on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3KG-Rotary-T ... 2633978097). You can only do a smallish batch of cases and I tend to do all my case prep & reloading in a large go at the end of the year when there's less shooting going on.

I'm also using Meguiars car wash with a spoonful or so of citric acid - everything comes out sparkly clean.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#12 Post by Dellboy »

HOW DO YOU STOP WATER MARKS ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

dry em quicker
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
rox

#14 Post by rox »

Dellboy wrote:HOW DO YOU STOP WATER MARKS ?
Shake off surplus water then do the towel thing:

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#15 Post by Mattnall »

The citric acid is meant to stop that by softening the water. If you get the marks next time put in a bit more.

But as extra assurance I lay them in a tray on shop paper (kitchen roll will do) and pat them dry. Never had an issue yet and we live in a hard water area.
If you use dishwasher tabs the softener in them should work or put in a bit of glassgleam or whatever it's called.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#16 Post by Dellboy »

Mattnall wrote:
The citric acid is meant to stop that by softening the water. If you get the marks next time put in a bit more.

But as extra assurance I lay them in a tray on shop paper (kitchen roll will do) and pat them dry. Never had an issue yet and we live in a hard water area.
If you use dishwasher tabs the softener in them should work or put in a bit of glassgleam or whatever it's called.

using the lemi shine that came with it perhaps it need more or should i rinse with rinse aid after tumbling ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Dr. Strangelove

#17 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

proteus wrote: :o This is genius. That's the one drawback of the jewelry/rock tumbler I bought on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3KG-Rotary-T ... 2633978097). You can only do a smallish batch of cases and I tend to do all my case prep & reloading in a large go at the end of the year when there's less shooting going on.

I'm also using Meguiars car wash with a spoonful or so of citric acid - everything comes out sparkly clean.
How do you rate the eBay tumbler? And by ‘smallish’ how many cases do you mean? I’d probably only do 100 .308/7.5x55/7x57 cases or so at a time.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#18 Post by Mattnall »

Dellboy wrote:
Mattnall wrote:

using the lemi shine that came with it perhaps it need more or should i rinse with rinse aid after tumbling ?
I've not used Lemi Shine but with citric acid I just adjusted the quantity until it came out nice and shiny. I use Tesco cheap washing up liquid and a tablespoon of acid, pat dry the cases, after rinsing with tap water and tumbling in a separator to remove the pins, and then allow to dry (either in the sun or the oven). Never had a problem.

The biggest issue I had, and it was only a cosmetic one again, was leaving the cases in too long. These came out with a dull, almost dark grey tinge to them. They loaded and shot just like normal and after the next clean came up as shiny as before. I can only assume too long in the mix is not good for the appearance - it was almost 24hours!
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#19 Post by Plumose »

It could have been galvanic corrosion, it will happen when you have 2 different metals in a mild acid.

I don't know if the acid would have been strong enough, or if the time would have been enough.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#20 Post by bradaz11 »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
proteus wrote: :o This is genius. That's the one drawback of the jewelry/rock tumbler I bought on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3KG-Rotary-T ... 2633978097). You can only do a smallish batch of cases and I tend to do all my case prep & reloading in a large go at the end of the year when there's less shooting going on.

How do you rate the eBay tumbler? And by ‘smallish’ how many cases do you mean? I’d probably only do 100 .308/7.5x55/7x57 cases or so at a time.
I've got one of those, I bought the next 5kg size with the next motor size up, watch out as there are 3kg motor version with 5kg drums. mine will do those ammounts no problem. very pleased with it, but it is noisy. but brass in a plastic pipe and shake it about. not exactly quiet. but I do like that you can see it working. other slight drawback, with the opening being in the centre of the drum, with lip all around, it can be a bit fiddly to empty cleanly / fully, unlike if it tapered.
I would still buy another if I needed to.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns