Case tumbling

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Case tumbling

#21 Post by Pete »

To stop watermarks, I give a final good rinse in rainwater, (we have a butt with a tap), and blow dry with a hot air gun.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#22 Post by Lancs Lad »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
proteus wrote: :o This is genius. That's the one drawback of the jewelry/rock tumbler I bought on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3KG-Rotary-T ... 2633978097). You can only do a smallish batch of cases and I tend to do all my case prep & reloading in a large go at the end of the year when there's less shooting going on.

I'm also using Meguiars car wash with a spoonful or so of citric acid - everything comes out sparkly clean.
How do you rate the eBay tumbler? And by ‘smallish’ how many cases do you mean? I’d probably only do 100 .308/7.5x55/7x57 cases or so at a time.
Just make your own. There are numerous homemade examples on utube. The simpler the better. Use an old car windscreen motor for power.

:flag13: LL
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#23 Post by Mattnall »

Plumose wrote:It could have been galvanic corrosion, it will happen when you have 2 different metals in a mild acid.

I don't know if the acid would have been strong enough, or if the time would have been enough.
That was one thought I had. Something similar happened when I tumbled some cases with some WWII fuzes we found in the fields but these came out slightly more copper coloured like the zinc had been removed. This time (it has happened twice where I've forgotten I've got it running) it was more a shade of black and only brass cases being tumbled. They were most likely different makes so possibly a slightly different alloy mix in the brass but nothing too different.
The colour made me think it was more to do with the black rubber liner and the time spent tumbling.
The brass returns to normal colour after firing and re-tumbling properly so it is not really a worry, just different.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
rox

#24 Post by rox »

Mattnall wrote:
Dellboy wrote:HOW DO YOU STOP WATER MARKS ?
The citric acid is meant to stop that by softening the water. If you get the marks next time put in a bit more..
Don't you rinse?

Surely if you do, no reasonable amount of citric acid in the wash solution is going to have a significant effect on the softness of the rinse water, and that's what will be left on the cases to potentially leave a mark after drying. Or are you suggesting citric in the rinse as well?

Initially I used rinse-aid in my final rinse, but it was a pain, a waste and totally unnecessary. 15 seconds with a towel and I get no marks. I'm convinced that the mechanical removal of surplus water from the surface is the key to avoiding marks.
Mattnall

#25 Post by Mattnall »

rox wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
Dellboy wrote:HOW DO YOU STOP WATER MARKS ?
The citric acid is meant to stop that by softening the water. If you get the marks next time put in a bit more..
Don't you rinse?

Surely if you do, no reasonable amount of citric acid in the wash solution is going to have a significant effect on the softness of the rinse water, and that's what will be left on the cases to potentially leave a mark after drying. Or are you suggesting citric in the rinse as well?

Initially I used rinse-aid in my final rinse, but it was a pain, a waste and totally unnecessary. 15 seconds with a towel and I get no marks. I'm convinced that the mechanical removal of surplus water from the surface is the key to avoiding marks.
You're right, I rinse as I tumble to remove pins in a separator so any rinse aid is pointless. I get citric acid from work by the kilo so it's no big loss but as you point out it really doesn't matter when I rinse after tumbling.

As I said above; I pat dry and separate on paper towels on trays to dry, that is probably what keeps the water marks away.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
forbie

#26 Post by forbie »

I thought Citric Acid unless neutralized will leave the cases with a pinkish hue.
Certainly has done with my past experiences.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#27 Post by redcat »

shoppe wrote:I have the lyman wet tumbler. I just use a squirt of washing up liquid in with the water and the cases come out really clean including the primer pocket. I would never go back to a dry tumbler. It is amazing how dirty the water is at the end of the cycle.
Hi, shoppe
Is this the Lyman Cyclone? If so, what is your impression?

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Mattnall

#28 Post by Mattnall »

forbie wrote:I thought Citric Acid unless neutralized will leave the cases with a pinkish hue.
Certainly has done with my past experiences.
I've never had that. Maybe too much acid in the mix?